Gearing?

3 replies to this topic
  • Blake_Fisher

Posted February 09, 2001 - 05:18 PM

Hello again guys,

I have a 14 tooth on the front sprocket which is what I think comes stock on the '01 426. I do a lot of trail riding in Northwest Washington near Spokane and a 14 on the front is too tall of gearing . I am looking to go to the 13 and I was wondering if that would be too tall still or just right. You guys are a GREAT help!

Thanks again!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 09, 2001 - 05:24 PM

Try the 13
I find it is fairly low for desert but it shud be great for the trees.
The YZ is tall anyway but the front sprocket is a lot cheaper at $10-13 rather than $50 and still need to change it again cuz' it doesn't work right for your needs.
If the 13 doesn't work you can always go get a 51rear to add and that mite help more even yet.
$.02
G4

------------------
ride BLUE

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted February 09, 2001 - 06:02 PM

I agree with G4. Going to a 13 is better than adding to the rear. If you add more than 2 teeth to the rear, then chain guide clearance becomes an issue. The stock 14 tooth is fine for M/X work, but is way too tall for tight woods riding.

• kmcbride

Posted February 09, 2001 - 06:39 PM

Blake,
I run a 13 in front and love it for woods/enduro riding. Much less dogging the clutch in first gear in the real tight stuff. I learned from this site of some added pressure on swingarm chain guide and took the advice to remove some excess weld that exsist under the guide to get it to lay flatter. You could also remove a link from the chain and shorten wheelbase unless you plan on switching counter sprockets for type of riding.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.