carb screw

6 replies to this topic
  • Fast Freddie

Posted June 22, 2003 - 12:39 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but can someone explain what the carberator screws are, and their locations and what effect would it have turning them in or out (leaner or richer).

I have looked through the manual and I can only find jet exaplainations and the pilot screw location on the bottom of the carb. What is the allen key screw on the side of the carb?

Greatly appreciated

• Motocrash

Posted June 22, 2003 - 05:24 PM

I think the allen screw you speak, is the throttle stop screw (take it out and make it shorter, or, buy a YZ screw), The FUEL screw is the one just in front of the big nut on the bottom of your carb. If you need more jetting info (how to, etc) feel free to contact me or search past threads. :)

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 22, 2003 - 05:47 PM

Would that be the float bowl drain?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motocrash

Posted June 22, 2003 - 05:58 PM

The float bowl drain is the small brass allen screw on the side of the carb bowl at the very bottom. The only screw that is not described in the manual is the throttle stop screw (that is why I assumed you were talking about that one, Sorry) It is the black screw facing down. The fuel screw is in a recess (hole) in front of the access plug (big nut) on the bottom of the carb. Sorry about the confusion.

• Motocrash

Posted June 22, 2003 - 06:00 PM

The fuel screw works just the opposite of a pilot screw. Turning it out makes the mixture richer. Since you live in Canada, you probably aren't saddled with the long throttle stop screw.

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted June 23, 2003 - 08:44 AM

Hey, check out the March addition of Motorcross Action. It's a 'must read' if you have a thumper. It explains exactly what the fuel screw does, how it differs from the air screw of a two stroke, and best of all, gives detailed instructions on how to adjust it.

• Fast Freddie

Posted June 23, 2003 - 08:50 AM

Hey, check out the March addition of Motorcross Action. It's a 'must read' if you have a thumper. It explains exactly what the fuel screw does, how it differs from the air screw of a two stroke, and best of all, gives detailed instructions on how to adjust it.

How would I get ahold of that issue? Is there a online archive of that info?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.