2010 YZ450F Springs

47 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2011 - 09:51 AM

Before I do that though, would getting the different "link" eliminate the need to go with softer spring??

No. An alternate link (connecting link) will change the ride height, but do very little to affect the linkage rate, so the required spring rates will remain the same. If the relay arm were altered, that would affect the linkage rate, and could change the spring requirements.

• rdefonce

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:43 AM

Gray, thanks for quick answer!
I suppose I better start searching for a softer spring, the manual calls the 5.5 the "soft" spring (stock is 5.7) . . . now I'll begin searching for reasonably priced springs.
Cheers!

• 95s10nj

Posted January 25, 2011 - 09:58 AM

Resurrecting this older post; I have '10 yz450f, I also weigh ~160 - 165.
from the sounds of it, a 5.5 would work for me.

Before I do that though, would getting the different "link" eliminate the need to go with softer spring??

I'm the same weight as you and my suspension tuner left the stock front springs and switched the rear to a 5.5 in order to get the right race sag without having too much static sag. Factory connection recommends the same setup for our weight range.

• rdefonce

Posted January 25, 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'm not sure how you can say the 6.3 rear spring rate way too high for me? I felt it was good and I'm the one that was riding it. I'm tall and thought it worked pretty good. Free sag is around 30mm, with a race sag of ~105mm. I think I'm going to decrease the sag next time out. Every rider is different, and in my opinion this spring rate was good for me as a starting point. I may try a 6.1 also and see how that goes before I start playing around with the valving. The stock valving I found was pretty good even with the heavier springs. The bike works fine and I'm confident in racing it as it stands.

Where are you sourcing your shock springs from?
I need a lighter-than-stock spring, Yamaha lists the "soft" one as a 5.5 but Yamaha OEM springs are very expensive.:-o

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 95s10nj

Posted January 25, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Where are you sourcing your shock springs from?
I need a lighter-than-stock spring, Yamaha lists the "soft" one as a 5.5 but Yamaha OEM springs are very expensive.:-o

I got my eibach 5.5 from locox and they price matched one I found on amazon. It was something like 97 bucks I think.

• rdefonce

Posted January 25, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I'm the same weight as you and my suspension tuner left the stock front springs and switched the rear to a 5.5 in order to get the right race sag without having too much static sag. Factory connection recommends the same setup for our weight range.

Good info, thx. I will probably order 5.5 spring from them.
One thing the Yamaha manual doesn't show is static sag figure. From what I see they only show on-stand length and race sag (rider with gear, on bike.)

Was it a noticeable improvement going from 5.7 spring to 5.5?

• 95s10nj

Posted January 26, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Good info, thx. I will probably order 5.5 spring from them.
One thing the Yamaha manual doesn't show is static sag figure. From what I see they only show on-stand length and race sag (rider with gear, on bike.)

Was it a noticeable improvement going from 5.7 spring to 5.5?

I can't tell you what just the spring will do because I had valving done on the front and rear at the same time. Overall I'm a lot happier with it now but I want to experiment with different sag settings(at 100mm now) this year to get it a little better.

• rdefonce

Posted January 31, 2011 - 07:13 AM

I can't tell you what just the spring will do because I had valving done on the front and rear at the same time. Overall I'm a lot happier with it now but I want to experiment with different sag settings(at 100mm now) this year to get it a little better.

I went with DSP 5.4 spring. from many posts I've read, this is a good product at reasonable price. It should be in the ballpark for my 165#s.
Now, if the crappy weather would just end so I can go for a ride!

The extra dough it costs to live in Cali is looking more and more worth it these days . . . because I COULD BE RIDING NOW.:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.