2010 YZ450F Springs

47 replies to this topic
  • Gerry B

Posted August 31, 2010 - 08:13 PM

230 pounds? A 6.3 rear spring is way to heavy for you. I am 235 pounds and also a vert expert and I run .49's up front and a 5.9 rear. The stock valving is pretty stiff on the 2010 so a heavy spring will make it worse. Being a vet rider, I'm sure you want the ride to be a little more plush rather than getting beat up. I would also really recommend getting the rear link made by Pro Circuit or Suspension Direct (KYB). That really made a huge difference.

• dreid32

Posted September 01, 2010 - 03:16 PM

I'm not sure how you can say the 6.3 rear spring rate way too high for me? I felt it was good and I'm the one that was riding it. I'm tall and thought it worked pretty good. Free sag is around 30mm, with a race sag of ~105mm. I think I'm going to decrease the sag next time out. Every rider is different, and in my opinion this spring rate was good for me as a starting point. I may try a 6.1 also and see how that goes before I start playing around with the valving. The stock valving I found was pretty good even with the heavier springs. The bike works fine and I'm confident in racing it as it stands.

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2010 - 04:35 PM

The stock valving I found was pretty good even with the heavier springs.

Change the springs for your weight, the valving for your skill level. :bonk:

• Troutman

Posted September 01, 2010 - 05:54 PM

I installed and tried the 6.3 rear spring and .50 front springs with 340cc oil. I thought everything was pretty good. Sag was set around 110mm. My only complaint was that the bike did not want to turn as good as I thought it should. Other that this set up seems like a good starting point for me as far as spring rate goes.

I am 6' - 5" 235lbs with the 2010 and a 6.2 rear and .52 fronts with 370 cc's were my magic numbers, the suspension is a dream. I also have a full re-valve.

• DaveJ

Posted September 01, 2010 - 08:44 PM

Just bought a 2010 yz450f. I'm a 230lb vet expert, mx only racer. I rode it once and thought it was good, but I need to change the springs for my weight and height (6'3"). I'm thinking of going with 0.5 for the front fork springs and a 6.3 on the rear. The yamaha manual does not even list springs this high. I will revalve it after testing with the proper springs. Anyone have any experience with this setup and what did you do for your revalve. I'm an automotive engineer with a chassis background, so a good starting point will help me out greatly.

One little bit to add.

There is static ride height, and there is dynamic ride height...and sometimes tuners use springs (a static component) to deal with a problem that is dynamic. In other words, dropping down the rear spring rate will solve or patch an issue that really should be dealt with inside the shock.

This is also a common issue with the 09-10 CRF450R that everyone likes to fix it with links and subframe mods and top out spacers...and god knows what. Usually whatever makes the most money. :bonk: But with about $15 in shims, you can rid most of the problems with that bike being out of balance.

At 230 as a vet expert rider, you're going to need different springs, and there are some matters with the rear shock that need to be resolved.

Kevin Walker won Loretta's on the same bike with on one of our designs, beating Dubach on a ENZO set-up. Walker is 140 so we ran a .45 on the front with a 5.5 at the rear, but we combo'd that with some really trick internal stuff.

• whiskey wheelie

Posted September 08, 2010 - 09:19 PM

I already corrected my original post: My tuner went with a 5.5 rear spring not a 5.4 which I mistakenly said before. Other info: He said the link is 3.5mm longer and lowers the rear 10mm. I have not measured this myself, and don't see the spec on suspension direct website, but you can see the link here: http://www.suspensio...ite-Parts/1.htm

I know mb1 is also doing this setup with a link to lower it 10mm. Interesting...

• DaveJ

Posted September 09, 2010 - 08:04 AM

I know mb1 is also doing this setup with a link to lower it 10mm. Interesting...

Well..the next time your suspension guy wants to sell you a link or a set of triple clamps, get a precise explanation why. Don't just let them sell you something because it's the thing to do or because someone else is doing it.

We are running our set-ups without any of these mods and the bikes are flawless.

I know it's fun to feel like you have to spend money, and perhaps it feels cool to see that link down there, but trust me on this. If the internals of the forks and shock are done correctly, you should not need to make any link or clamp changes (some exceptions apply).

Take that money and go buy some new tires or a better helmet.

• DaveJ

Posted September 09, 2010 - 08:22 AM

This may help.

No link or clamps required.

Note the mods to the clevis and piston band.

Attached Files

• sir speedy

Posted September 09, 2010 - 05:49 PM

6' 210lbs. Vet B
My majic numbers were:
6.0 rear
.49 (left) and a .50 in the (right).

Sub-tanks made the bike really settle down in the first 2-5 inches.
It made the front tire "bite".

I have owned over 50 MX bikes - and this one handles the best of all of them.:ride:

• jenkins525

Posted September 16, 2010 - 03:27 PM

guys, i have a new 2010 yz450f i have been riding in on some great cross country areas around Muenster Texas ( red bull area, not the crazy stuff though ) I have been off a bike for 6 years now. I am noticing the bike does tend to knife really bad on tight turns. i am 200 # 6 ft tall very aggresive rider. I will not be going for the big air as in years past but looking for a good set up in the woods. I am thinking of going to a stiffer front spring and possibly a stiffer back spring. Do you think the bike needs to have a pro circuit linkage on the rear to lower the bike also. Just need a little direction. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chazmagnum

Posted September 20, 2010 - 02:29 PM

My 2 cents: I am 240lb junior skill, motocross only. Fork .51 spring, oil height 370. shock 6.1. revalve by dan @ evo. The bike turns and soaks up bumps way better than stock.

• BBrown626

Posted September 24, 2010 - 02:52 PM

6' 210lbs. Vet B
My majic numbers were:
6.0 rear
.49 (left) and a .50 in the (right).

Sub-tanks made the bike really settle down in the first 2-5 inches.
It made the front tire "bite".

I have owned over 50 MX bikes - and this one handles the best of all of them.:ride:

Did you revalve it too?

• sir speedy

Posted September 28, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Nope.
Added a Guts tall seat and then trimmed it a little bit.
Sub-Tanks are the best.

• BBrown626

Posted September 30, 2010 - 07:03 PM

Nope.
Added a Guts tall seat and then trimmed it a little bit.
Sub-Tanks are the best.

I am 215. I received my 0.50's and 6.0 yesterday. I'll service both ends and throw in some Taco Sauce for a test ride this weekend.

• dreid32

Posted December 31, 2010 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for all the great input, especially from the heavyweight tall guys, I'm 6'4 220. Keep it coming, I'm going to send my suspension in somewhere, not sure where yet. I'm going to be off 6 months due to ACL reconstruction. Any recommendations?

• MXR176

Posted January 01, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Go with .48 and put 330cc of 2.5 weight oil. The front end will be amazing for you and the thing wont over steer either.

• BBrown626

Posted January 01, 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thanks for all the great input, especially from the heavyweight tall guys, I'm 6'4 220. Keep it coming, I'm going to send my suspension in somewhere, not sure where yet. I'm going to be off 6 months due to ACL reconstruction. Any recommendations?

Dave Johnson at Smart Performance. He support this forum. Many of us run his fluids or valving. I haven't revalved my '10 yet, but I do have his valving and fluids in my son's '10 250F. I also had it in my '08 250 (smoker) and my son's '07 250F. The valving and other tweaks he will do work very well. Send your shock too.
Prices are great, particularly if you want to do the work yourself.
Customer service is the best.

• grayracer513

Posted January 01, 2011 - 03:38 PM

Dave Johnson at Smart Performance. He support this forum. Many of us run his fluids or valving. I haven't revalved my '10 yet, but I do have his valving and fluids in my son's '10 250F. I also had it in my '08 250 (smoker) and my son's '07 250F. The valving and other tweaks he will do work very well. Send your shock too.
Prices are great, particularly if you want to do the work yourself.
Customer service is the best.

I agree with that absolutely. :excuseme::thumbsup:

• dreid32

Posted January 02, 2011 - 03:37 PM

Does anyone have any ideas why there are so many different opinions on how to set up the 2010 YZ450? I heard Larry Brook's interview on pulpmx and he said the bike has some issues that they have corrected, I'm assuming it was chassis/suspension. My last 20 mx bikes were allot easier than this machine. Has anyone tried Pro Circuit?

• rdefonce

Posted January 24, 2011 - 09:42 AM

My local tuner recommened either 5.3 or 5.5 for my weight of 160-165. My race sag was 102 and my static was 45 with the stock 5.7 spring. He said I was on the borderline and really could go either way so I chose to pick up an eibach 5.5. Before ordering the spring I called factory connection and got their recommendation as well. Factory connection said that same exact thing. FC said that I might be able to get by with the 5.3 if I was alot shorter than 5'-11". The bike is getting revalved next week so I will give an update afterwards.

Resurrecting this older post; I have '10 yz450f, I also weigh ~160 - 165.
from the sounds of it, a 5.5 would work for me.

Before I do that though, would getting the different "link" eliminate the need to go with softer spring??

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.