Changing Oil

5 replies to this topic
  • Blake_Fisher

Posted February 08, 2001 - 07:28 PM

Hi Guys,

I own a 2001 YZ 426, SWEET bike and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you are supposed to know how often to change the oil in your bike if you would go by how many hours you have on the oil since last oil change or what.

Thanks a bunch!

• MXOldtimer

Posted February 08, 2001 - 09:05 PM

At first (new) I would do a oil change after each race weekend 1 practice and 2 moto's but after a couple months I go 2 weekends or 2 practices and 4 moto's, and I feel comfy with that. If I had a really lame race(slow or short) I'll stretch it to 3 & 6 but thats really pushing it, because then I start feeling it in the clutch.

• DaveJ

Posted February 09, 2001 - 09:36 AM

I agree with Doug.

I can also tell after about 10 or 15 hours on the same oil that my bike doesn't shift as well.

I've learned with oil that it's not the oil that breaks down; it's the containments that get into it that cause the problems.

This is why I think it's better to change more often then to expect a higher-grade oil to extend the intervals.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted February 09, 2001 - 01:34 PM

I'm with Dave,I change oil after every ride and don't use expensive oil. castrol 20W50 costs me $1.04 a qt. Have never had a failure in over 30 yrs. of 4-stroke motorcycles. Just keep the oil fresh, the air filter clean and oiled, and tighten every bolt and spoke regularly.

• YZ_Freak

Posted February 09, 2001 - 05:08 PM

I use synthetic oil (spectro golden) and change it after 2 or 3 rides. The oil always seems to come out looking pretty clean. I also change the oil filter every 2 or 3 oil changes. I understand that the oil filters can be washed up to 3 times. I've never tried it but I think I'll try it this season.

1999 YZ400F

• MikeOK

Posted February 10, 2001 - 05:31 AM

I've had good luck changing mine after 1 race and one practice, which works out to about every two hours or so. To some this seems excessive but you need to remember that, especially while racing, the are lots of things whirling around at 11,000 RPM inside that engine...

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.