xr600 vs yz426

12 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 08, 2001 - 11:33 AM

Anybody out there have an xr600 before their 426? Will I miss the power? How do they compare in climbing, riding in sandunes, and playing around on. I've been told the honda would out climb it. Will I miss the torque?
I am thinking of going to the 426 but do not want any regrets. Thanks for the help

• Hick

Posted February 08, 2001 - 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Diligence:
I've been told the honda would out climb it.

I haven’t been on an XR 600 in a long time but I don’t believe it, did some Honda lover tell you that? I’d be willing to bet the 426 has higher power/weight ratio and should therefore climb better.

We’re all bound to be a little biased here but IMO the only thing you will regret is that you didn’t get one sooner.

BTW I did drag race an uncorked, recarbed, Yosh-piped ’01 XR 650 (Baja racer) and it was basically a dead heat until I topped out, but the XR was geared a bit taller. I have an ’00 426 w/ 14/47 gearing…

• kmcbride

Posted February 08, 2001 - 12:30 PM

I have owned an '87, '90, and '94 XR600 prior to purchase of '99YZ400 and can tell you I would not go back. Incidently, save for the lack of rear disc break ('94) the '87 was the best of the 3 with the dual carbs. That will give you some insight on the evolution of the 600. Can you say horse-shoe crab. There are trade-offs in the fact that the YZ requires more attention to detail for up-keep and a little more time to fine tune. The end product, however, is well worth the effort. Lighter, better handling, faster, dependable (so far), and yes easy to start. I have dragged a friend on his XR many times (both bikes with just pipe and jetting mods) and I consistently walk away from him until about 60mph when his gearing takes over. I laugh when I read about starting difficulties with the YZ, these people probably never laid an XR down mid-race in the summer heat. Talk about quad burn! I will always love Honda as far as quality product, and will keep my eyes and ears open for the new RC, but until that day comes I am Yami blue. IMO former 4-stroke riders will appreciate more so what the YZ has to offer from struggling so much with the overweight 4-stroke pigs of the past. Give Yamaha credit for raising the bar so high, in fact, the others still have not caught-up. BTW, I remember in '94 a factory rep from Honda was telling me of plans for a water cooled XR400 with revamped suspension/frame. What happened?

• teamtoxic

Posted February 09, 2001 - 02:36 PM

My Dad's friend owns a 1998 XR600. We went trail riding and I drag raced him. I blew him in the weeds. Only my Dad, on a '95 CR500 and who has always been awesome at holeshots, was able to outpull my 426.

Secondly, for sand riding I don't believe you can get a much better bike than a 426. My Dad(on his CR500) and I were playing in a sand dune-type area with some very long and very deep sand hills, from a dead dig at the bottom of the hill, I would beat my Dad by about 2 bike lengths. When we started far back from the hill, we were even.

Needless to say, my Dad went for all the excuses. "It needs a bore job."
"Its getting old and tired."
"I need a new bike!"

At this same sand dune-like area, some hotshot guys had a Yamaha Banshee all decked out(pipes, sand tires, etc.). My 426 blew him in the weeds too! After that, he didn't go up the hill anymore.

So anyways, you'll be way more happy with the 426. A XR 600 doesn't pull nearly as hard as a 426. Plus, the 426 is lighter and sports all of the latest technology.

P.S. my 426 is bone stock, except for a White Bros. E Series exhaust, and hand gaurds.

------------------
YZ 426's suck!(all the air they can get)
THROTTLE JOCKEY......because all golf courses should be motocross tracks!

• nate

Posted February 17, 2001 - 07:19 AM

I'd say your dad may be right. I own both a CR500 (my old bike) and a YZ426 and when I it comes to sand drags I'd take the CR500 every time. Not trying to knock the YZ, I love mine for all other riding conditions, but in the sand the 500 is just faster. That's my opnion.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 18, 2001 - 06:00 PM

I just happen to have an 00 426 and an 00 xr 650. Also raced a 96 xr600 once.

I got the Xr 650 for one race, the Nevada 2000. It was the perfect bike for this race.I ironmanned it to 1st place in the experts and 11th overall.

I raced it once before in a MRANN race in northern Nevada also. It was a very unusually tight dez race(4 hrs to do 100 miles). I loved the bike in the rocks and dry lake beds but was wishin for the 426 everywhere else. But this was also my first race on it and it was leterally brand new. I rode it on the side of the hwy on the way to the event and that was it.

Ive come to love the "big cow" but would not have it as my only bike. If I had to choose one. its the 426 by far.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jakky.boi21

Posted August 12, 2014 - 06:58 PM

hi guys i have a 92 xr600r should i swap it for a yz426 or keep it idk :)

• G-BRO

Posted August 12, 2014 - 07:47 PM

This is a great post! I have a little seat time on an XR600 and a lot on a XR650R. I own an 01 426. Your NOT going to miss the power from the 600. The 426 hits 10 times harder. The 426 is a great bike for the sand and is extremely reliable when kept up. I do have to disagree with the comment of the XR650R. That thing is an absolute beast compared to the 600. It's a big bike though. You simply can't go wrong with a well tuned 426. Buy a 03-09 450 carb for it if you can. You won't regret it!

Edited by gbrodnansky98, August 12, 2014 - 07:48 PM.

• gofaster450

Posted August 13, 2014 - 02:00 AM

I have owned both the 600 and the 426 (now a 12 YZ450) and while the XR 600 had it's time and place, the 426 was a better bike in pretty much every way in my opinion. The 600 was a heavy bike and had suspension that had is origins in the early 80's. The weight, and its high placement on the 600 conspired against everything that you did. The 600 had torque going for it but the 426 was just a superior engine in every way. Like any high output, minimalist designed (by design) race engine, the 426 required things like more frequent oil changes and up keep where the 600 was like a tractor, put gas in it a ride. 

The 600 was fun while the 426 was capable. Apples and oranges in comparison.

• prodigymark

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:15 PM

This is a great post! I have a little seat time on an XR600 and a lot on a XR650R. I own an 01 426. Your NOT going to miss the power from the 600. The 426 hits 10 times harder. The 426 is a great bike for the sand and is extremely reliable when kept up. I do have to disagree with the comment of the XR650R. That thing is an absolute beast compared to the 600. It's a big bike though. You simply can't go wrong with a well tuned 426. Buy a 03-09 450 carb for it if you can. You won't regret it!

• prodigymark

Posted August 19, 2014 - 05:21 PM

You really striked my interest with the carb swap, I love my 426 and have been wanting to show it the love with some modifications, I have ordered new rubber/plastic, levers, graphics etc, "exterior" ... the bike runs fantastic, I purchased it recently and it rips. Has a 52 tooth new rental, so of course it's going to "feel" like it's unloading power all the time.
It's an 02

• G-BRO

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Mark I've got just about every mod possible short of sacrificing reliability of this bike. I had my 01 carb really well tuned (bk mod, oring mod, jetted correctly) and couldn't get it as good as my 07 450 carb was with its stock settings. It's a great marry with this bike. PM if you have any questions

Edited by gbrodnansky98, August 20, 2014 - 07:47 PM.

• prodigymark

Posted August 20, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I definately will, as a two stroker kid I always idolized the 426, got hurt a lot and went with the sport bike scene for a while and now at 28 I'm finally getting back to the offroad riding and I love it. I will be in touch with you soon, greatly appreciate the help

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.