WR450 jetting Q's

67 replies to this topic
  • Indy_WR450

Posted July 02, 2003 - 05:24 PM

Mike & RDR ......... I made the stock needle work with an gytr insert using a large pilot and large main without popping or bogging. It was too much compromising for a lean needle. If you are happy with it dont mess with it. I got the Thunder Alley slip on using the stock header since they use the same design on the header size and bend. The cermaic coating makes the pipe flow much faster even though it has a vortip baffle copy. I am finding that a richer needle allows for a smaller main and pilot. The bike accelerates very quickly through the gears now and revs quicker than modified stock. It wheelies between shifts now in the first 3 gears (I am 230lbs). I could not get the modified stock set up to do that. I think in a nutshell that one of the needles JD has will work better for modified stock. You may have to use the kit's higher altitude needle if you have fewer mods. you have to ride someones bike that has more extensive mods to appreciate the difference. My bike feels like I changed to a hotter cam but I did not lose my bottom end. Hey Mike PM me with your address and I will send you my spare GYTR insert I have no need for it :)

• Motorod

Posted July 03, 2003 - 12:44 PM

Did you try 5TJ-14916-D1 (#DUQ) or 5NL-14916-EN-00 (#OBELN)?

• foursmoke

Posted July 07, 2003 - 04:25 PM

Saw this post was on page#7 and did not want it to die yet seeing that jetting is my primary focus right now. I just got my JD jetting kit today and I am excited about benifiting from someones(JD and anyone else involved) very hard work and dedication, THANKS!!!!! :) I will install this week and enjoy(I hope) this Sunday.

Smoke :D

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 08, 2003 - 01:17 AM

We need to keep JD's needle kit tests and set up on this post. I will be testing this weekend. I still like the 48 pilot the best.

• Mike_Hudson

Posted July 08, 2003 - 04:20 AM

Indy,
Are you using the 48 PJ with the 70 PAJ or did you go back to the 100 PAJ?
Mike

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 08, 2003 - 04:16 PM

Mike, I tried the 100 and prefered the 70 PAJ with the 48PJ. My bike will not pull hard from idle without a 48 pilot even though I am on the rich side. I have tried 45 and found that the idle set up was better but the pull was worse. I do not understand why my bike likes the rich pilot. It goes against what other people are using but I can tell you that I can pull third right off idle reving rpm in the woods. My Thunder Alley pipe really helps with this and it needs a rich needle clip position as well as the pilot. So it seems to like needle clip position #5 regardless of which needle diameter or taper I select for mid range running to give me good bottom end pull. Guys with stock pipes should be able to run a smaller pilot. Oh by the way the issue of USFS approved Spark Aresstor is not an issue. The Kinzman stamp on the back of the pipe end cap is US forest service approved even though it does not say it. I was worried that it would not pass inspection. Sorry if I mislead anyone on my recent PM's regarding the Thunder Alley pipe. :)

• looney

Posted March 11, 2005 - 10:09 AM

t.t.t.

• Domenic_WRF

Posted March 11, 2005 - 12:52 PM

2005 WR450...I run the JD Red needle year round..because thats all I have :) Winter 48pj..70paj..170 mj...72 starter jet..red5..worked until the temps were above 60..Now back to a 168mj..45pj..65sj..running 25% 110 VP fuel..Starts the best ever with just choke..Does the addition of the VP require leaner settings? Anyway the bike finally starts easy and has more power than my WR400... :)

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted March 11, 2005 - 04:54 PM

Lowedog, what is the fuel screw setting?--
Here is a list of information to post:

STOCK WR450 JETTING
Pilot Jet- #45
Pilot Air Jet- #70
Fuel Screw- 1 1/2 turns out
Needle- OBDUT
Clip Position- #4 (counted from the top)
Main Jet- #150
Main Air Jet(None=#200)
(Correct me if wrong, this can be edited... thanks LTR)

JD, I'm running one of your kits :) Thanks. Now I see you mentioned the WR450 stock jet as a 150. Mine came stock with a 160, it is a Canadian bike. Not sure it that makes a difference. Its an 04 and had no free mods to do, already undone from the factory. IS there a diff between US jetting and the Canadian stuff?

• beezer

Posted March 11, 2005 - 05:03 PM

I just put in a JD kit in my 05 WR450. I did the free stuff and put a White Brothers E-2 pipe on it. I ran the stock jetting and it ran very poorly. With the JD kit it runs much better. I'm running what the instructions said to do and it feels perfectly jetted.

The bike is really runs now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted March 13, 2005 - 08:47 AM

Im running a 45 pj, 168 mj, stock paj, and I just had a YZ neddle installed and it on the fourth position, fuel screw is 1 3/4 turns out.
I'm getting a terrible bog at 1/4 throttle and it goes away if I crack the throttle open. The bike ran so bad this weekend I about put a bullet thru it to put it out of it's misery. Adjusting the fuel screw never did take the bog away. I'm also running the stock pipe with the PMB insert
I'm assuming the needle position needs to be changed :)
Also, I ran outta gas after 37 miles with a Clarke 2.8 gallon tank, am I running too rich? I got over 80 miles with the stock needle.
Could the dealer have given me the wrong needle?
Thanks in advance for any help

• mparrish

Posted March 13, 2005 - 06:02 PM

Hi I am a long time spectator of TT, but rarely participate in a thread, but this one has my interest. I purchased my 04 WR450f last May and am really happy with it. Other than the free mods I have done nothing to it until a recent trip to CA over the Christmas holiday. Because I was worried about my noisy open exhaust I purchased a PMB insert. It ran great in CA but a feels a lot more choked up back in UT and with the colder weather I noticed a little popping on deceleration. This weekend I headed out to the desert and took out the insert to see if there was a difference. It runs great with open exhaust! Any suggestions on jetting this bike in quiet mode with the PMB insert for around 4800 feet and up? In the desert the noise is not a huge problem, but during the summer I like to ride in the mountains and feel sensative about the noise.

• thumperjp

Posted March 13, 2005 - 08:09 PM

#48 or #50 and DUQ is better

• bushman06

Posted March 15, 2005 - 10:08 AM

I have had a bunch of problems with my jetting. Could never seem to get it just right and that is with the help of Indy and James. Once I put on my yosh TRS full system on....WOW it was so much easier for me to get it right.

I put a 65 pilot jet, 170 main and blue needle at #3! This bike was pulling my arms of in the first 3 gears. No bog at all but the top end had a slight lag but nothing to worry about.

Now that spring is here for some of us, I am going to have to change to the red needle because the top end was struggling when I rode it on last Sunday. Will keep you posted on the changes.

The only problem I had/have is that I had to put the stock fuel screw in as my zip-ty fuel screw kept vibrating loose. Anyone else havee this problem?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 15, 2005 - 10:52 AM

65 pj? is that a typo? cuz if it ain't that yosh system flows better than anything i've seen!

• bushman06

Posted March 15, 2005 - 12:49 PM

ha ha, sorry mate, had a blonde moment. 45 pj and love the yosh system!

• clark4131

Posted March 15, 2005 - 02:00 PM

I ran outta gas after 37 miles with a Clarke 2.8 gallon tank, am I running too rich?

:) :) :p
37 miles! Holy Gas Hog Batman!!!

With that kind of mileage I think I'd be checking for an actual leak rather than just bad jetting. I'm running the same set up as you, but I have a JD Red #4 instead of a YZ needle. I too tried a YZ needle on #4 and the bike ran like total crap. The YZ needle is stamped NCVQ near the top if you want to doublecheck. I really would spend the money for the JD Kit, after all, what's your frustration level worth to you?

At an average of 5000', I run just a hair on the lean side of perfect! I'm getting a slight pop on decel every now and then, but certainly not regularly. I might go to a 48 pilot to see if that cures it, but it really doesn't concern me as it happens so rarely. I also threw in a #40 leak jet and I'm waiting to hear back on the Boyesen Quickshot for the '05. Someone ordered one recently, but I haven't seen a post on the results yet. I don't really have any type of bog unless the bike is cold and I wick open the throttle as fast as possible from a total idle.

Another thing you might want to do that really helped my throttle response is to fine tune the Accelerator Pump timing. The manual tells you how to do it and it's very simple. So there you have it. Buena Suerte...SC

• Indy_WR450

Posted March 15, 2005 - 02:25 PM

The only problem I had/have is that I had to put the stock fuel screw in as my zip-ty fuel screw kept vibrating loose. Anyone else have this problem?

No, but I have the opposite problem My Zip Ty is hard to turn. I think it is a machining tolerance issue. Send it back for a replacement unit. It should have the red knurled knob (version FS01). :)

• Seabass

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:16 PM

No, but I have the opposite problem My Zip Ty is hard to turn. I think it is a machining tolerance issue. Send it back for a replacement unit. It should have the red knurled knob (version FS01). :)

I thought it was just me, it'll turn easy for a bit and then it gets impossible to do it by hand. I kept burning my fingers and eventually had to grab a set of needle nose pliers, but they started to rub off the numbers that are on the knob :) I had a White Bros that did the same thing

• Seabass

Posted March 15, 2005 - 04:23 PM

:p :) :)
37 miles! Holy Gas Hog Batman!!!

With that kind of mileage I think I'd be checking for an actual leak rather than just bad jetting. I'm running the same set up as you, but I have a JD Red #4 instead of a YZ needle. I too tried a YZ needle on #4 and the bike ran like total crap. The YZ needle is stamped NCVQ near the top if you want to doublecheck. I really would spend the money for the JD Kit, after all, what's your frustration level worth to you?

At an average of 5000', I run just a hair on the lean side of perfect! I'm getting a slight pop on decel every now and then, but certainly not regularly. I might go to a 48 pilot to see if that cures it, but it really doesn't concern me as it happens so rarely. I also threw in a #40 leak jet and I'm waiting to hear back on the Boyesen Quickshot for the '05. Someone ordered one recently, but I haven't seen a post on the results yet. I don't really have any type of bog unless the bike is cold and I wick open the throttle as fast as possible from a total idle.

Another thing you might want to do that really helped my throttle response is to fine tune the Accelerator Pump timing. The manual tells you how to do it and it's very simple. So there you have it. Buena Suerte...SC

I checked for a leak and the only thing I noticed was a small amount of fuel would spill out of the float bowl overflow vent tube when I would pick up my bike and put it up on a stand. I was thinking the float might be sticking but I'm not sure

I am running the NCVQ needle and had better results with it on the third clip from the top. I rode around the neighborhood for a good twenty minutes and it felt great.

My Yamaha dealer actually gave me a good deal on a R&D Accelerator Pump Cover and I'll post any comments I have on it after I ride the bike a couple of times

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.