yz400 jumps to neutral

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 08, 2001 - 10:37 PM

Has anyone had a problem with their transmition on a 99' yz400? Mine seems really easy to hit neutral in while shifting through the gears and I swear that once I was sitting in neutral and had it just jump into gear. Thanks
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• motoman393

Posted February 08, 2001 - 10:49 PM

What oil are you running? Some guys on here had that problem and switched to mobil 1 synthetic 15w - 50 and the problem went away...I guess some YZ's are picky about their oil! Mine runs great with just "good ole" cheap 10w-40 valvoline!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 08, 2001 - 11:00 AM

I'm running the yamalube 4R. I try to change it every weekend at the desert or after a hard ride at the track. The most it's ever gone was 2 trips. I clean the filter every other ride and usually replace it after about 10 rides.

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyin_blue

Posted February 09, 2001 - 11:32 AM

Khris,

My '99 YZ400 does the same thing. I was running 4R and then switched to Mobile 1, but the problem still exists. I've seen posts about this before, so it seems to be a problem with the 400. Oh well, it's a rather minute problem for a bike that is so awesome in every other way! The only time I find it to be really irritating is on tight trails when your constantly shifting from second to nuetral -stomp-stomp-stomp- to first. On motocross tracks it's rare to see fist gear.

I recall in past posts where one guy had his shift fork polished (or something like that) and it just made the problem that much worse. Another post, a guy said he switched to Bel Ray and it solved his problem. Not too sure how a different oil could make a difference but it might be worth a try.

cya,
Dale

Posted February 11, 2001 - 04:37 PM

It might be something that you simply over looked, but make sure your clutch is proproperly adjusted i.e. clutch play.

• Numpsy

Posted February 11, 2001 - 11:30 PM

If You will split Your cases, pull out the "shift-drum" first and check the groves that are supposed to guide the shiftforks.
This is usually the problem whenever You get gear jump under acceleration.
Does the heppen in all the gears or just in one or two.
My guess is that the second gear grove could be "cut" in one of the corners causing the fork to not "go all the way".

Hope this helps!!!!

Numpsy

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.