2010 fuel consumption woods?

4 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted August 21, 2010 - 11:21 AM

How much fuel are you guys going through with your 2010 in the trails/woods?

I'm trying to compare fuel consumption to my 250 two stroke to see if it is better or worse. I have no clue at the moment...

When I ride the woods it's usually up to 3rd gear max for speed, with some open stretches and tight stuff about 70% open 30% tight. We can go for about an hour and a half which is a trip to a destination and back and when we get to the truck I have about half a tank.
I judge my fuel consumption on running time since I do not have an odometer and I eyeball the fuel level inside the tank.
If you guys were to ride a trail with a similar description, would you guys use more than half a tank for an hour and a half of riding, or less?
I know it may be hard to match up what I ride for a fair comparison, but if you ride woods maybe just tell me a couple of things then;

-How long you ride for
-How much fuel is consumed in that time
-What kind of woods riding
-What fuel map you are using

All approximates here, we can't be perfect.

Thanks for your help!

• YamaLink

Posted August 22, 2010 - 04:21 PM

This is extremely general, and as you know depends on multiple factors, but I can go longer on one gallon riding the 250 two stroke than the 450F. Probably cuz I've got that big ol' 450 going slower in many corners and then wicking it hard on the straights. The 250 I can carry more momentum and conserve energy, fuel, etc.

Having said that, I carry 1 gallon for longer woods rides, and dump it in with each stop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beatcoaster

Posted August 23, 2010 - 08:43 AM

I've run my stock tank on super tight trails almost solely 1st/2nd gear, with root clumps, rocks, muddy ruts, etc for about 2 hours to 2.5 hours with some 5th gear fire roads in between and was pretty dry after getting back to the truck. I had a full VP race can so no gallon markers, but I could still hear some gas sloshing in the bottom of my tank afterwards so it wasn't totally on fumes...

2-2.5 hours tops so far
Still sloshing but low
Tight trails, hill climbs, roots, rocks, ruts w/ 5th gear fire roads
Woods map, 51t rear, 245lb rider

• brentn

Posted August 23, 2010 - 07:46 PM

I've run my stock tank on super tight trails almost solely 1st/2nd gear, with root clumps, rocks, muddy ruts, etc for about 2 hours to 2.5 hours with some 5th gear fire roads in between and was pretty dry after getting back to the truck. I had a full VP race can so no gallon markers, but I could still hear some gas sloshing in the bottom of my tank afterwards so it wasn't totally on fumes...

2-2.5 hours tops so far
Still sloshing but low
Tight trails, hill climbs, roots, rocks, ruts w/ 5th gear fire roads
Woods map, 51t rear, 245lb rider

That sounds about what I'm getting maybe a little less. Two hours is a long time on the trail IMO of non-stop riding, usually I can't last that long without making it back to the truck or at least stopping and having a break.

I know the question is general, looking for a ballpark and I got one!

Thank you!

• whiskey wheelie

Posted August 25, 2010 - 04:26 PM

i dont know time as it really depends on who im riding with.. how much waiting im doing, how agressive im riding, etc. I've been getting 32 miles (got this twice and had to borrow gas) dead dry on colder days and got up to 41 miles on an 85 degree day trail riding but was coasting on some downhills being a longer loop... keep in mind these are all 1-3rd trails but pretty wide open for the most part.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.