wr 426 enduro gear change

7 replies to this topic
  • ut o

Posted August 21, 2010 - 10:40 AM

HI peeps!

Looking for some advise on my wr 426. Just recently got it plated so I can now run around the neighborhood legally:banana: Love my bike in the woods wish it was shorter or i was taller but thats another topic. Gearing is perfect for the woods but now that i am on the street sometimes the 60 mph runs seem a little to revvvy in 5th. dont want a sprocket change that will kill me in the woods. So that leaves 5th gear which i wish was doggin the bike a little more and increasing my speed. I know I know its not what Yamaha had in mind but it is what i am doing with the bike. Dont want to trade off for something else want to make mine better on the street and not effect it off road in gears 1 thru 4. gear change:busted: maybe. Do they make a different gear for it. talk to me people :bonk:

• byggd

Posted August 21, 2010 - 11:10 AM

Is your gearing stock (14/50)? Try going one up in the front to a 15. That should so the trick! My 02 is running 13/50 for tight stuff and 15/50 for the street.

• jcbikes

Posted August 21, 2010 - 11:20 AM

On my dualsported 2002 WR426, I also use 15/50 sprockets. For most of my riding, that gearing is perfect. I do try to stay of highways where the speed limit is 60 or higher. Crusing in the 40's and 50's is easy. On tight trails I just use 1st gear more often then before. In really tight stuff the 14 would be better but over all a pretty good combination. I was thinking of trying, for the winter months, a16t on the front because of more highway riding. Their might be some clearance issues though. (case saver would need to be trimmed or eliminated and swingarm protecter might have to be modified.) I could always grind down about and 1/8" off of the tips of all the teeth on the 16t to solve the problem too.

• YamaLink

Posted August 21, 2010 - 11:31 AM

My friend just put a 15 countershaft on, and went 1 smaller in rear. But he's no more than 170 before gear so it carries pretty good in all but the technical stuff.

You can have a suspension shop install spacers to lower the bike or you can purchase a lowering link. But first I'd make sure your sag is set properly. If you're at, say, 3.5 inches, you can get a half inch by putting in that extra to the recommended 100mm/4inch range. If you shave the seat do not take out too much; frame rails become your butt's worst enemy in a longer ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ut o

Posted August 21, 2010 - 12:28 PM

5'10 240 my butt needs no more enemies. sounds like one tooth in the front only. hmmm what about changing 5th gear. is this available? practicle?

• pscook

Posted August 23, 2010 - 10:11 AM

5'10 240 my butt needs no more enemies. sounds like one tooth in the front only. hmmm what about changing 5th gear. is this available? practicle?

You have a WR, so you already have the tallest 5th gear available. I put a WR426 gear set in my YZ426 as 5th in the YZ is lots shorter. You will have to deal with external sprockets instaed of internal ratios. I am pretty sure that the advice above will get you on a good path to finding the right final drive ratio. Front sprockets are pretty cheap (compared to rear sprockets) and you can fit up to a 16 tooth front, but only if you trim the chain slider where it wraps around the front of the swingarm. I have run a 16/40 combo (road racing) all the way to a 13/46. Lots of flexibility if you sort through a ratio chart.

• jcbikes

Posted August 23, 2010 - 11:09 AM

Did you have to also trim or modify the metal case saver guard? Also, how much of a modification or trim did you have to do the the chain slider? As I stated above, I figured something had to me done to these two areas.

• yellowhornet18

Posted June 03, 2013 - 04:47 PM

I also recommend doing the sprocket change. I went to a 15/40 because mine is road only, I have another for offroad only. The thing that you need to find is your perfect medium. I used to have a 14/44 and didnt like it for the road, but that may be a good combination for off road with a little less torque. I even feel like the 15/40 would work offroad, but not when I am climbing hills or going real slow. the gear change in the tranny is a lot more work. If you change it more than a few teeth, you will have to cut your chein a link or two.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.