Confirmation on torque spec for front sprocket: 08 450

8 replies to this topic
  • silentZ

Posted August 20, 2010 - 08:18 AM

Manual says 54ft lbs. I did this and then bent the lock washer around the nut. I checked it after one ride and it was totally loose. I removed the lock washer and torqued again with a new lock washer. Am I reading this correctly?

• usp4u

Posted August 20, 2010 - 08:21 AM

make sure your torque wrench is not using in/lbs.

• silentZ

Posted August 20, 2010 - 08:55 AM

My wrench only has Ft lbs and NM

• mikedabike

Posted August 20, 2010 - 12:24 PM

How is it coming loose if the washer is installed properly?:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • silentZ

Posted August 21, 2010 - 04:50 PM

I bent the washer back out, then checked it and was able to spin the nut with my fingers.

• mikedabike

Posted August 21, 2010 - 07:15 PM

I bent the washer back out, then checked it and was able to spin the nut with my fingers.

Probably wasn't seated good to begin with. Did you have any mud or other crap behind the washer? I usually stand on the rear brake to keep it from moving. It is hard to tighten these by yourself sometimes.

• Pukeballs

Posted August 23, 2010 - 03:04 PM

Just a shot in the dark here, but you may need your torque wrench re-calibrated. What brand torque wrench are you using?

• BBrown626

Posted August 23, 2010 - 07:05 PM

Manual says 54ft lbs. I did this and then bent the lock washer around the nut. I checked it after one ride and it was totally loose. I removed the lock washer and torqued again with a new lock washer. Am I reading this correctly?

No torque wrench is needed. Just snug it up good and bend the washer over.

• Wiz636

Posted August 24, 2010 - 07:19 AM

Probably wasn't seated good to begin with. Did you have any mud or other crap behind the washer?

This is what I was thinking. I don't see any other way it could come loose with the washer tab bent over it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.