New (To me) 06 wr450!

13 replies to this topic
  • dangerider1982

Posted August 19, 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hey everyone, I've been checking out thumpertalk for about 5 years now, mostly just to read up, but after seeing how cool this WR community is I decided to post mine up and join in :bonk: My older brother had an 01 yz250f throughout most of high school, and I started riding my dad's 01 wr426 5 years ago in 7th grade then got my own 00 yz426 when I was only 13 and 5'4". I rode the wheels off that thing (Twice literally) for YEARS and my brother hammered on his 250f for years also and we both took turns thrashing our old man's bike. Those bikes were all bulletproof and I have huge amounts of respect for 4-stroke yammies for life. Thumpertalk was an invaluable resource throughout the whole time we owned those bikes and we learned all the information we could ever need. So now after trying the 2-stroke thing I'm back on an 06 wr450 and LOVE it. Anybody out there who wants a bay area riding buddy I'm down because all my normal riding buddies are red sticker owners. Just posting to give back to the community who that has helped me so much.

Thanks guys!
Marshall

P.S.- Here's some pictures of the new beast. Right now all it has is free mods and a little protection, but man this thing is CLEAN, and I have a feeling I'm gonna be loving this magic button thing. It still has the original tires on it!!!!
Posted Image (We like blue bikes)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image (Original front tire with NUBS!!!)

Edited by dangerider1982, August 19, 2010 - 06:09 PM.

• jayh300

Posted August 19, 2010 - 05:20 PM

wow... nice bike... i love my 06....

• dangerider1982

Posted August 19, 2010 - 06:07 PM

wow... nice bike... i love my 06....

Thanks! Got it for 3500 with a brand new set of tires. Pretty good deal for around here.

• jayh300

Posted August 19, 2010 - 06:23 PM

that sounds like a buy.. when i first got mine, i kinda struggled with stalling some.. lowered the gearing from a 14t front to a 13t and that helped a ton
best money i spent on mine is a suspension redo... smartperformance.com...
WHOO HOOOO....... and the magic button is the best part....
go get that thing dirty...

• dangerider1982

Posted August 19, 2010 - 07:40 PM

that sounds like a buy.. when i first got mine, i kinda struggled with stalling some.. lowered the gearing from a 14t front to a 13t and that helped a ton
best money i spent on mine is a suspension redo... smartperformance.com...
WHOO HOOOO....... and the magic button is the best part....
go get that thing dirty...

My brother installed the Dell Taco kit on his forks and loves it. They seem a bit too stiff for me. What is the difference between phase 4 and the dell taco kit? I can't seem to find much info on their website...

• 2in2out

Posted August 19, 2010 - 08:22 PM

My brother installed the Dell Taco kit on his forks and loves it. They seem a bit too stiff for me. What is the difference between phase 4 and the dell taco kit? I can't seem to find much info on their website...

The Del Taco is specific to the YZ forks. The Phase 4 is a different valving system specific to the WR forks. The YZ and WR forks are different animals in a similar skin.

I'm still waiting to save the money for my phase 4 build up, but I hear its the bomb.

• dangerider1982

Posted August 20, 2010 - 12:11 AM

The Del Taco is specific to the YZ forks. The Phase 4 is a different valving system specific to the WR forks. The YZ and WR forks are different animals in a similar skin.

I'm still waiting to save the money for my phase 4 build up, but I hear its the bomb.

You can order the phase 4 kit and do it yourself, right? And about what is the price either way? I hate to get annoying, but they're website seems to be down and I can't find and info... Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted August 20, 2010 - 04:49 AM

You can order the phase 4 kit and do it yourself, right? And about what is the price either way? I hate to get annoying, but they're website seems to be down and I can't find and info... Thanks!

yes you can diy...just pm him, he is on here all the time..
davej

super nice guy....

• YamaLink

Posted August 20, 2010 - 05:29 AM

Very nice. Most definitely: that e-start is going to make you so happy.

• dangerider1982

Posted August 20, 2010 - 07:25 PM

Took it for the first ride today!!!! Feels pretty darn nice on the trails and even OK on the track. But you sure do feel the weight of the bike in the air. The e-start was AWESOME! Tight rocky creek trails I didn't have to stress nearly as bad about stalling it because i could just fire it right back up with no effort. The intake is REALLY restricting the power on this bike though. Under load it makes the exact same intake noise as my grandpa's 3.5hp lawnmower... I took the air filter cover off when I got home and ran the bike real quick and it has way more hit and better throttle response. I'll just have to jet for it since it already feels too lean. Suspension was soft yet harsh at the same time. I definitely am going to do the phase 4 kit as soon as I have the cash. I think JD Jet kit and Phase 4 fork kit will really make this bike perfect for me.

• stev0

Posted August 23, 2010 - 12:44 PM

gut or replace the pipe and take the intake snorkel off the box under the seat.

even so my open race leo vince x3 is a daynight difference to the stock pipe in terms of power.

• Flagstaff

Posted August 23, 2010 - 08:12 PM

Geez, I have a '06 and your bike looks way too clean!

• dangerider1982

Posted August 26, 2010 - 08:25 PM

Well went and cut a couple holes on the right hand side of my airbox tonight. I couldn't get the tray that holds the battery on top of the airbox out to cut up the snorkel, any hints on that? I put it back together and ran it for a few minutes to check the throttle response and after briefly adjusting the fuel screw i noticed a slight difference in throttle response but i still want more. Also, any ways to unrestrict the stock exhaust more? The bike came with a white brothers spark arrester insert that got rid of the pea-shooter. Any internal baffling I could modify for more power?

Here's a quick pic of the ventilation holes I cut out... Don't worry when you put the plastic back on it is shielded from sucking in sand and water.

Posted Image

• dangerider1982

Posted November 13, 2010 - 10:44 AM

So in my search for more power I'm looking into getting a Twin air Powerflow filter, cutting away my backfire screen and adding a Lexx slip on. I'm thinking this is going to be my most cost-effective route to more all around power. Now, the debate is whether or not to order a JD jet kit. I'm kind of against it since from what I've gathered it only comes with 2 needles, 2 mains and 2 pilots for a staggering $70. But if any of you can convince me it's worth it let me know your experiences. I was just thinking to order a few mains and pilots off of rockymountainmc around the size I have now for only $2 a piece and order a yz adjustable needle (If I already don't have one, still need to open it up and check). Let me know what your input is!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.