header freeze...

12 replies to this topic
  • jayh300

Posted August 19, 2010 - 04:30 PM

have read about freezing your header to get dents out...
never thought it would work....
before
Posted Image
after 1 freeze
Posted Image
dent is 90% gone... probably wont even mess with it anymore...
thanks guys
jay

• xr650r2000

Posted August 19, 2010 - 04:35 PM

cool ill do that to mine

• bentsprocket

Posted August 20, 2010 - 06:06 AM

Looks good... I know I just got the phone with you. But, does these weaken the material? I.E. since no heat was used to make it malleable. Meaning if hit again does it increase chances of break through?

• jayh300

Posted August 20, 2010 - 06:08 AM

Looks good... I know I just got the phone with you. But, does these weaken the material? I.E. since no heat was used to make it malleable. Meaning if hit again does it increase chances of break through?

i am sure we will test that.... soon...

• TLRam1

Posted August 20, 2010 - 12:30 PM

How much water did you put in the pipe? Fill it up, just the bottom where the bend is, just enough to cover the damaged area?

• jayh300

Posted August 20, 2010 - 12:37 PM

I had no idea... so i stood it up in the freezer and filled the water to just over the bend of the pipe.. i did not cap it at all.. i had heard of some splitting so i started off kinda conservative.. one day in the freezer..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted August 20, 2010 - 12:45 PM

I had no idea... so i stood it up in the freezer and filled the water to just over the bend of the pipe.. i did not cap it at all.. i had heard of some splitting so i started off kinda conservative.. one day in the freezer..

Yup, dont cap it and only free past the dent...this way it wont split :bonk:

• jayh300

Posted August 20, 2010 - 01:02 PM

it worked good.. i was kinda shocked.. i know it is not that bad of a dent, but i wanted to try to get it out.. got plenty o time right now with the lh ankle in an ortho boot. may freeze it one more time to see if it takes the small dents out.. looks much better..

• MaxPower

Posted September 04, 2010 - 07:34 PM

[COLOR="Green"]use your own judgement however I have taken a pretty well dented Ti 450 pipe and over filled it and froze it many times with no problem at all[/COLOR]

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted September 05, 2010 - 03:20 PM

can that work for a 2 stroke pipe?

• bentsprocket

Posted September 05, 2010 - 04:13 PM

Yes it can. A pipe is a pipe.

• MaxPower

Posted September 05, 2010 - 05:25 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I would be a little more careful with a 2 stroke pipe as they have welded seems that I feel are more of a weak point than a solid pipe[/COLOR]

• climaxx dirtbikes

Posted September 06, 2010 - 04:45 AM

Good point. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.