1-2nd shifting too many neutrals..

6 replies to this topic
  • AhamayWR426

Posted April 08, 2001 - 08:39 AM

Well it has finally become nice enough (for ME) to start riding here in Eastern PA.

I now have 67 miles on my WR426. I have counted at least 9 times that I have hit neutral while trying to select 2nd gear at speed.

Yes I use the clutch on upshifts.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Will this trait go away?
I had a different bike last year that did not have this problem.

Thanks for any info

• motoman393

Posted April 08, 2001 - 10:35 AM

my 01' YZ426 did the same thing. After I put about 10 hrs on the bike it went away...and now it runs great! I dont think you have anything to worry about, and im sure it will go away!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• joecallan

Posted April 08, 2001 - 10:38 AM

I had the exact same problem for a while. I came to find out that the shifter was in the wrong position for me.

All you have to do is lower the shifter lever on the spline. You will be amazed how neutral will disappear and second will be there!

adjusting the rear brake position may help you too

Joe Callan :)
extreme-offroad.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jemtec

Posted April 08, 2001 - 11:07 AM

I agree with joe. Its foot Position. A good friend of mine has ALWAYS had this problem riding my bikes. He Misses Second. I explained the same thing, that the Shifter needs to be dropped a tooth downward so it moves closer to his riding position thats good for his legs to peg distance.
:)

• WR_Rider

Posted April 08, 2001 - 11:54 AM

Do it. Drop the shifter. worked for me too, on my WR.

Chuck

• Bill

Posted April 08, 2001 - 11:56 AM

Ahamay,

Mike68 drove down with his buddy Brian from New Hamshire to visit eastern Pa. We rode Rausch Creek on Friday and met Hitman from the YZ side at Tower City on Saturday.

The rain kept the dust down, made traction super and made for some slick rocks.

It was awesome!

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• YZ400Court

Posted April 08, 2001 - 02:10 PM

Lower the shifter. I didn't, and it cost me a top end. The third time I overreved during the Turkey GP, it dropped an intake valve (OUCH $1700.00).

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.