WR 450 how to make it quieter

16 replies to this topic
  • jsaylor1

Posted August 18, 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have a 2006 WR450 with a Jardine 4, jet kit and all free mods. I just purchase the bike this way, I like the power and have the stock muffler however I don't want to install it for reasons of having to re-jet. I looked at the jardine silencer which just simply reduces the out put size maybe this is ok? what about repacking with fiberglass? is this possible with the Jardine?
What are your thoughts, repack, change to stock, or purchase the Jardine silencer? Hunting season opens next week, load bikes often get mistaken for dear.
Thanks

• Vegemite_luva

Posted August 18, 2010 - 06:39 PM

Not sure what type of packing material the Jardine uses but look into the Silent Sport packing material. Also look into the Hyde Racing DB Dawg insert. That combo may quiet down.

• 2in2out

Posted August 18, 2010 - 07:15 PM

How do loud bikes get mistaken for deer???

If you're riding where people shoot at loud noises like an uncorked and unwrapped WR without looking, I'd find a different riding area or get blaze orange plastics (but please don't buy a KTM just for the orange).

• William1

Posted August 19, 2010 - 03:41 AM

If you change the diameter of any muffler, you will have to re-jet. A re-pack of the Jardine might help, of course, this all assuming it is actually jetted perfectly for your air density and temperature.

I'd put the OEM can back on and jet to suit. Not a big deal.

• stev0

Posted August 23, 2010 - 12:46 PM

pro moto billet 96db insert.

• William1

Posted August 23, 2010 - 01:53 PM

pro moto billet 96db insert.

Will still have to re-jet.

• jayh300

Posted August 23, 2010 - 02:23 PM

If you change the diameter of any muffler, you will have to re-jet. A re-pack of the Jardine might help, of course, this all assuming it is actually jetted perfectly for your air density and temperature.

I'd put the OEM can back on and jet to suit. Not a big deal.

agree with that.. my 06 had a m4 "silencer" on it when i bought it...
found a used oe and got a pmb insert for it... sold the m4 on ebay for more than it paid for the oe... it is quiet... and still runs great..

• stev0

Posted August 23, 2010 - 09:18 PM

agree with that.. my 06 had a m4 "silencer" on it when i bought it...
found a used oe and got a pmb insert for it... sold the m4 on ebay for more than it paid for the oe... it is quiet... and still runs great..

the bike is pretty quiet then huh?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted August 24, 2010 - 04:48 AM

the bike is pretty quiet then huh?

yes it is... i have a db meter (sound guy) i need to put on it, but you can carry on a conversation beside it now when it is running...
before it was bad... too loud...
it is probably one of the quietest bikes in our group..

• MrBlahh

Posted August 24, 2010 - 04:58 AM

I've changed exhausts on a few bikes, and did not have to rejet, that said, they were jetted properly prior to the new exhaust

• stev0

Posted August 24, 2010 - 05:09 AM

My Wr ran like a demon with the stock jetting when I dropped on the LV. I guess Im just lucky.

• jayh300

Posted August 24, 2010 - 05:39 AM

My Wr ran like a demon with the stock jetting when I dropped on the LV. I guess Im just lucky.

no rejet for me either... mine has a jd kit on it (p.o. install) and went from the M4 to the oe with the pmb... I have only had to adjust the fuel screw once.... it was a day we had over 60% humidity... we normally have 30 ish...
it was less than a 1/4 turn on that..
neat bike.. i will check db's next time i start it, may be a few weeks... have everything draind right now with my ankle broken... no riding now...

now the weirdest thing on a wr i have ever seen... my buddy bought an 04 in colorado.. we went up there to get it.. i rode it, it was about 30 degrees, so we did not ride it long. got it home to rejet... the bike had NO main jet in it at all.. the threads in the tube were messed up also...

cannot believe it ran at all...

• jsaylor1

Posted August 24, 2010 - 03:20 PM

Correct me I'm wrong, it sounds like I should install the stock exhaust and re-jet. The owner mentioned a huge difference when he changed from stock jetting and the Jardine, I don't mind top end loss but I really don't want to lose by bottom end. Thanks so much for all your help.
PS what does PO mean? someone mentioned installing a po.

• jayh300

Posted August 24, 2010 - 03:57 PM

previous owner.... PO installed jd jet kit

that is what i did.. you can pull the inner most part out of the rear part of the muffler also... that costs nothing to do... it rivets in and you still have the tip..
stick it on an try it.. I may have lost some , but i never miss it either... lost no bottom at all

Edited by jhendr3702, August 24, 2010 - 04:41 PM.

• islandguydan

Posted August 24, 2010 - 08:02 PM

I have a 06 wr450 with a full jardine rt four the jardine silencer is also on it for nose reduction i bought the bike with it on and it is still very loud im scared to take it off!

• jsaylor1

Posted August 24, 2010 - 08:46 PM

I was thinking about purchasing the Jardine silencer, not certain how much quieter it would be?

• jsaylor1

Posted August 25, 2010 - 07:18 PM

I put my stock exhaust back on with the just the spark arrester in, much quieter, power seems about the same, I did notice sometimes when it's idling and I give it a little gas it will die. Our climate is dry and usually 80 to 100 degrees, I think I have a 170 main jet, red needle clip on 5. It ran perfect before I changed the exhaust. What are some symptoms of needing to re jet.
Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.