just bought a 08 yz450f

12 replies to this topic
  • mx730md

Posted August 17, 2010 - 06:15 PM

hey guys i just got a used 08 yz450f this week.

what do i need to know.

already started tearing it apart what should i look for besides the basics? i think i might pull the head but im not sure it suppose to be a low hour bike according the hour meter.

man these things make the 250 two stroke feel gut less this was my first time riding a 450 not sure if im going to keep it though i might just stick to my yz250f where the power is alot more mellow.

• rcmxracing

Posted August 24, 2010 - 01:10 PM

You just bought a great bike. I had an '06 YZ450 and went to the '08 for the improved frame and better front end feel. It was worth the money I lost selling my '06. The only downside to the '08 is that it's a bit slow. Need a pipe, it will add 5 HP. Also you can use '06 cams, or possibly just the intake cam to pick up the grunt. It's got a real smooth engine and some riders really take to that. I had zero problems on both my YZ450's. Well, one exception the oil drain bolt (there are two). I kept using the same copper bolt gasket and they can crush down over time and without realizing it you are over torquing the bolt. Bottom line I started losing threads so as a safety measure had it heli-coiled. IMHO all the bikes should come with steel threads in the drain bolts! The bike has a slight push in the middle of turns; make sure you ride WAY up on the front of the seat. I always ran my fork tubes up past the line, basically the same distance from the fork cap to the line x 2. About 10mm total. I also ran about 100mm sag.
The shock is real weak on the rebound circuit, you're going to want to crank in on the rebound clicker. I had my suspension done by Chad at Total Control in NC. He's good and he knows these bikes.
OBTW, I got a '10 and I'm selling my '08. 58 hrs, with new top end! I'm taking all the good stuff off: SDG step seat, DR. D. Full Ti exhaust, GYTR skid plate, Works Conn Hole Shot device. If interested let me know! I'm down the road in Virginia Beach, VA.

• Sick Of It All

Posted August 24, 2010 - 05:05 PM

08 yzf 450 here...189 hours as of right now.. not a problem with it at all.. valves still perfect.. fmf exhaust makes a major difference.. and a 10 ounce flywheel weight helps out alot too.. i race harescrambles and enduro's and the bike is perfect... good luck with it

• mx730md

Posted August 24, 2010 - 05:24 PM

what class do you race sick of it all? your ecea or neoc? i usally run ecea but pretty much took the year off might run cdr and i should be at der 2 i love the fast stuff .

im not sure about this 450 its to fast i think .

• YamaLink

Posted August 24, 2010 - 05:56 PM

The 08 450 is a fantastic bike but sometimes there's no beating a properly set up 250F for off-road racing....or a 250 two stroke but that's a whole other thread!

• usp4u

Posted August 25, 2010 - 01:09 PM

You got a great bike there, I LOVE mine.

If it has enough power for you, leave the pipe alone. The fastest guy I ride with (fast B rider) has an 08 with a stock exhaust. Get your sag set to 100mm first thing, then you can play with it from there. I slid my forks up 5mm also. As the other poster said, the rear shock can take some time to dial in, and the rebound circuit seems to not adjust until you hit a certain point then almost adjusts too much between clicks.

Do some of these things and it will turn better, they're not as bad as people say.

Spend some time on the bike before you decide to sell just b/c of the power. I NEVER wanted a 450, just kinda ended up with one...I"ll never go back. Everytime I get on a 250F I get frustrated with how hard I have to run it to go fast. Although I am lazy,LOL.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STROKEDIESEL

Posted August 25, 2010 - 07:57 PM

my vote is to keep em both. thye both fit different needs and wants. the stroker is always fun to bring out to when you need to do maintenance on the 450.

i am a little biased though i guess

• Jim813

Posted August 26, 2010 - 10:09 AM

:

hey guys i just got a used 08 yz450f this week.

what do i need to know.

already started tearing it apart what should i look for besides the basics? i think i might pull the head but im not sure it suppose to be a low hour bike according the hour meter.

man these things make the 250 two stroke feel gut less this was my first time riding a 450 not sure if im going to keep it though i might just stick to my yz250f where the power is alot more mellow.

Are there any mods done to the bike that would make the power characteristics more aggressive?

By the way, you have a great bike as long as it's been properly maintained by the previous owner(s).:bonk:

Edited by jim513, September 01, 2010 - 09:33 AM.

• Sick Of It All

Posted August 27, 2010 - 04:35 AM

ecea and neoc. race them both.. i just race the close races... to old and broke to be driving more then 3 hours..lol

• pcoakle1

Posted August 27, 2010 - 12:26 PM

Ride the 450 for a while b4 bagging it. But you may want to keep the 250 to get your smoker fix. I should have kept my 250, but I love my '09 450.

• pcoakle1

Posted September 01, 2010 - 07:13 AM

08 yzf 450 here...189 hours as of right now.. not a problem with it at all.. valves still perfect.. fmf exhaust makes a major difference.. and a 10 ounce flywheel weight helps out alot too.. i race harescrambles and enduro's and the bike is perfect... good luck with it

sick of it all: what fmf exhaust setup did you do? Full system? Ti? Jetting?

Thanks, pcoakle1

• farmerjohn42

Posted October 27, 2010 - 08:57 PM

Since a couple of you guys have had multiple YZ450fs', in the alum. frame models was there one year that had more problems than the rest or better than the rest?

• gdbarr1976

Posted October 28, 2010 - 09:13 AM

I've had a 06 450 and currently have a 08 450. My current race bike is a 09 ktm300 xc-f. I can't bring myself to sell my 08 450. Really like it.

On the 450, Rekluse, fmf with power bomb, highter handlebars, 50t rear sprocket, step seat, jd jetting kit, steering damper, big tank, 44kg spring in one fork, stock in the other. Love it!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.