426 GEARING

9 replies to this topic
  • EDDIE

Posted February 07, 2001 - 06:25 PM

I LIVE IN THE HIGH DESERT, AND IT SEEMS I RIDE THE BIKE IN 5TH GEAR ALOT(PINNED), DOES SOMEONE KNOW BETTER GEARING CHO0SES OVER STOCK GEARING? I LOVE MY YZ426, I JUST FEEL I AM RIDING THE BIKE TOO HARD BY HAVING THE BIKE PINNED IN 5TH.....HELPPPPPPPPPP

• Boit

Posted February 07, 2001 - 07:15 PM

Jeez guy...why not go a tooth or two SMALLER on your rear sprocket? This way, you won't have to worry about the chain guide clearance? You MAY have to find a guide that takes up the resulting slack, though. Try T.M. Designs at 541-535-1612. If they can't help you with their guide, maybe they can steer you in the right direction.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 07, 2001 - 08:58 PM

Boit is right about the gearing
But I found it much cheaper to buy a 15 for the front.....About 10-15$ instead of going $50 for a rear and deciding you still need to change it again.
I race desert hare n hounds and have bought the 13 and 15 along with the stock 14 and this leaves me plenty of options for each race.
I actually bought a 47 for the rear and have experimented w/it too and it does not make a hege diff w/stock front........But.......
With the 15/47.......HOLY S*&T!!!!!!!
not sure how fast but well over any speed i would want to do on anything but a road.
A rolling dirt road launched me umpteen feet at a time at full speed.......But only inches above the ground WOW
Kinda fun but hard on the clutch at lower speeds and runnin thru sage/starts/etc
$.02
G4

------------------
ride BLUE

• Boit

Posted February 07, 2001 - 09:17 PM

G4: I should have made your recommendation concerning the front sprocket. The reason I didn't was because that changing a tooth on the front sprocket makes such a huge change to overall gearing. In this case, making a one or two tooth change in the rear might make the change to satisfy this rider.

Eddie: There is a formula for determining the optimum sprocket application to maximize engine output for your application. I wish I new the web site. Try "gearing" as a search clue. Or, call Stroker at 760-948-2871. Larry Roseler or any of those guys are very helpful.

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 02-07-2001).]

• oldxmxer

Posted February 07, 2001 - 09:31 PM

I run a stock front with a 47 rear seems to be fast enough for high Desert where I ride.
Where do you ride high desert?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 07, 2001 - 09:44 PM

Oldmxer
I ride in Ut/Nv/Az/Co/Id
how bout' you?
USRA
Knolls
StGeorge
Jericho
GJT

------------------
ride BLUE

• Hick

Posted February 08, 2001 - 08:50 AM

I’m not sure a 15 tooth will clear my TM slider, they do have some kind of warranty, I ignored most of it because I doubt you can break this thing, but it did say a 15 tooth would void it.

Anybody tried a 15 with a TM slider?

• sm

Posted February 09, 2001 - 11:37 AM

What about the first gear ?

Is it going to be too much long for the starts making those changes ?

You know the 426 has a reaaly long first...

------------------
(S. Mendes)
Portugal - Europe

• Hick

Posted February 09, 2001 - 01:37 PM

True, but the conditions I ride in, (or maybe its the way I ride) first gear is useless, even geared 14/47. Lots of deep sand which requires mucho wheel spin, more than can be had in first even on an ‘00 YZ, to get things going. Out here I’ll probably see thirty YZs before I run into a WR for this reason, the lower first and second gears are almost totally useless in the wide open dez (although the taller 5th gear would be a great desert-bike mod., I came close to trying the swap but I let a doubtful mechanic at NCY talk me out of it).

Most races I run start in a sand wash or other very dry and sandy area. I don’t know this for certain, but I’m betting nobody uses first, at least nobody who gets a good start. I’ve tried 3rd gear starts, and they work, but require lots of clutch and feel a bit slower than 2nd.

• EddieJ

Posted February 11, 2001 - 06:09 PM

I would like to Thank everyone who replied to my gearing question. I will try what was suggested.
Thanks Again
Eddie
High Sierra Motorcycle Club

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.