Horn Install

4 replies to this topic
  • kawi380

Posted August 16, 2010 - 11:44 AM

I've pieced together my own street legal kit for the 08wr450f on the cheap but have just one remaining question. I bought a horn that I mounted up front near the headlight. I was thinking I should probably put a relay in between the horn and what "hot" I decide to use so as to preclude frying fuzes anywhere else. Is there a better way to do this? What has everyone done to install their horns?? Is there a circuit that I can tie into that already does this for me?

• S2P

Posted August 16, 2010 - 03:51 PM

You shouldn't need a relay,but you will need a seperate ground.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jlow

Posted August 23, 2010 - 10:54 AM

Don't know how you did your headlight setup, but i ran a power supply line from the hot side of the battery through a fuse holder from the local auto parts store up to the front. i floated the ground and have a full dc system. have the power for my high/low beam switch and my brakelight switch going through the fuse. not the best setup. but it works and wont fry anything else if i get a short. you might try something like that. jlow

• GCannon

Posted August 25, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Horn will work fine with AC power. all you need is a momentary switch in either the ground or power side to interrupt the circuit.

• kawi380

Posted August 26, 2010 - 05:01 AM

I ended up buying a horn relay at the local bike shop and used that to preclude any ill effects. Horn works fine and is a lot louder than I thought it would be. I also use a kill switch as my momentary, works great and does clutter the bars.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.