2004 WR 450 quits in water

17 replies to this topic
  • danfromnb

Posted August 16, 2010 - 11:02 AM

My bike quit on me yesterday while crossing a flooded section of trail. The water was 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep and I was crossing slowly, about half way across the bike just quit like I shut it off but then it started right up and continued through the water. There was a second, nearly identical hole right after the first and the exact same thing happened. Bike quit and started, I rode through the rest of the way. Not another hiccup before or after that. A guy ahead of me watching said water had splashed up basically hiding the whole front end of the bike before it quit. I had crossed a small river earlier in the day without issue, it was a little less than a foot deep probably.

Any ideas? I bought this bike a couple months ago and I think this is the first time I've had it in water larger than a big puddle or shallow stream.

• 247bunches

Posted August 16, 2010 - 11:14 AM

sounds like you might have a wire shorting out. I would check the wiring from the ignition cover up to the coil and voltage regulator.look for bare wires or cracked insulation.

• TLRam1

Posted August 16, 2010 - 02:41 PM

Could this be plugging up your carb vent tube?

• GCannon

Posted August 16, 2010 - 02:56 PM

Your Carburetor vent hoses are the problem. the vent lines from the top of the carburetor (one on each side) have tee'd hoses coming off each line. Take the tee'd lins and route them to the air box. Leave the straight part of the line in place routed under the bike to act as a drain when you tip over. This way you don't create a vacuum in the carb bowl starving the motor for fuel when the stream water covers all the vent hoses under the bike.

Problem solved.

• danfromnb

Posted August 16, 2010 - 05:36 PM

Your Carburetor vent hoses are the problem. the vent lines from the top of the carburetor (one on each side) have tee'd hoses coming off each line. Take the tee'd lins and route them to the air box. Leave the straight part of the line in place routed under the bike to act as a drain when you tip over. This way you don't create a vacuum in the carb bowl starving the motor for fuel when the stream water covers all the vent hoses under the bike.

Problem solved.

That sounds exactly what my issue is. I'll give that a whirl tomorrow. Thanks

• redhurricane

Posted August 17, 2010 - 07:13 AM

Problem solved.

+1

Moved all my vent lines to the airbox area, and no more killing it in deep water. :banana:

• GCannon

Posted August 17, 2010 - 12:37 PM

+1

Moved all my vent lines to the airbox area, and no more killing it in deep water. :banana:

One of those things that pisses me off bad when I have to jump off the bike in waist deep water and push while fighting to keep the bike upright.

Made me want to fix that problem right away and we don't have that much water around here.

All it took for me to fix it was a 15 minute search of this forum and then move the hoses. (thank god for TT)

• redhurricane

Posted August 18, 2010 - 06:05 AM

usually happens to me in the murky black stagnant water.:banana:

• PBDBLUE

Posted August 18, 2010 - 06:23 AM

Problem solved.

Bingo! It is a problem with all the bikes that use the FCR carb. My KTM did the same thing until I relocated the vent hose. Here's a link to a thread on rerouting the vent lines. It's for the KTM but applies to any bike with the FCR carb.

http://www.thumperta...99&postcount=19

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TLRam1

Posted August 18, 2010 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the photos, that helps a bunch.

• YamaLink

Posted August 19, 2010 - 01:01 PM

The dreaded mid-stream puke. It happens once and then you make sure to get it fixed first thing next morning. Alas there is always someone to "entertain" the group with a watery beginning to every long trail ride.

I like when my right leg goes out and the rock it lands on rolls downstream.

• MaddogYZ

Posted August 20, 2010 - 05:47 PM

Dumb question here...when you route it to the airbox are u guys just drilling a hole (on the dirty side) and silicone around it?

• zukrider

Posted August 22, 2010 - 03:52 PM

Dumb question here...when you route it to the airbox are u guys just drilling a hole (on the dirty side) and silicone around it?

I didn't even put them in my air box they just run up under my seat towards the rear fender. There are two vents on each side of the carb, I recommend only running one from each side up under the seat. If you leave two down low when the bike is tipped over gas will still drain out the lower tubes. I don't like the idea of gas draining into the air box or under the seat near hot mufflers. This has worked for me both when crossing deep water and laying the bike down.

• AmnWatkins

Posted June 27, 2011 - 10:24 AM

Old thread, but I'm glad I found it. I have yet to take the bike through water yet seeing how I just recently bought it, but the PO told me that the bike doesn't like water and when the water gets to the skid plate it dies. I was wondering why this might be and also trying to figure out why there seems to be five or so different vent hoses at the swing arm. I'll have to route them properly before this weekend when I take the bike out for it's first real ride since I bought it.

• BigBelly

Posted June 28, 2011 - 12:30 PM

My '07 does the same thing and it's frustrating. Glad I found this thread, re-route in process cuz riding all day in wet boots sucks.

• xteamrider

Posted June 28, 2011 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

• danfromnb

Posted June 28, 2011 - 05:33 PM

Posted Image

Yup, that's about the right amount of water right there. I am really glad I sorted this last season as this season has been very, very wet. In my video here it's kind of hard to tell but at a couple of points the bike is in enough water for the front wheel to be MIA. The bike didn't skip a beat; I was even stopped, idling, in enough water to bring on the dreaded WR water stall.

Glad to see this thread is helping people.

• AmnWatkins

Posted June 29, 2011 - 07:11 AM

I re-routed mine as soon as I read this thread, now I'm ready for the long weekend.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.