no more pop'n!!!

18 replies to this topic
  • Ryan426

Posted August 15, 2010 - 12:59 PM

After adjusting 2 intake valves, sealing the header, replacing the plug with a CR8EK (CR9E which was rusted was in it when I bought it this past Jan.) & a little carb adjustment my '01 426 runs f'n great now. No more pop pop!!! Thanks for your input Gray.

• Handy Andy

Posted August 17, 2010 - 09:20 PM

Sealing the header was probably key.

• Ryan426

Posted August 18, 2010 - 03:01 AM

Sealing the header was probably key.

:thumbsup:Yeah I think so too. I took her out yesterday for the first time since I did all that and man, it idols now! Runs way better then when I bought it.

• az426

Posted August 18, 2010 - 05:16 PM

After adjusting 2 intake valves, sealing the header, replacing the plug with a CR8EK (CR9E which was rusted was in it when I bought it this past Jan.) & a little carb adjustment my '01 426 runs f'n great now. No more pop pop!!! Thanks for your input Gray.

what made you change the plug other than the rust? i also have an 01'426:thumbsup:

• dubee

Posted August 19, 2010 - 10:50 AM

was it poppin on deceal?

• Ryan426

Posted August 19, 2010 - 06:58 PM

what made you change the plug other than the rust? i also have an 01'426:thumbsup:

when I bought the bike it had a cr9e plug. manual calls for a cr8e. I went with a cr8ek which is a better plug. the lower the #, the hotter the plug.

• Ryan426

Posted August 19, 2010 - 07:01 PM

was it poppin on deceal?

sounded like a fully automatic 22 rifle.

• motomarty871

Posted August 19, 2010 - 07:17 PM

I have a 2004 Yamaha YZ450F that I race offroad with. The last two races it starts this shootin' ducks routine half way through my second or third lap (avg. 7 mile laps). If I let it sit a spell it seems to run normal again for another lap or two but then it repeats the cutting out and backfiring.

• BlindLOKI

Posted August 20, 2010 - 09:28 PM

I have a 2004 Yamaha YZ450F that I race offroad with. The last two races it starts this shootin' ducks routine half way through my second or third lap (avg. 7 mile laps). If I let it sit a spell it seems to run normal again for another lap or two but then it repeats the cutting out and backfiring.

not completely positive but this sounds like valves to me... hot engine, hot valves = larger valves/cam lobes which equals tighter tolerances. when cold it doesnt do it because your valve lash becomes slightly more (read - just enough) to keep it from hanging them open. Definately worth a check to see if your intake valves need some adjusting...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2010 - 07:06 AM

Oddly, valve clearance goes the opposite way on a YZF. The aluminum of the head expands more than the valves do, which moves the cams farther up from the valve seats as it heats, increasing clearance. This is why when one or more valves gets to the point where they are held open cold, causing a hard start due to a lack of compression, the same engine can be push started, and will be "OK" once warmed up. It's also how one can end up with less than zero clearance.

It's always worthwhile to check clearances, but the more likely culprit here is a coil, either in the stator or the ignition coil itself, heating up and failing. Test the stator when it's hot, see what it tells you.

• BlindLOKI

Posted August 21, 2010 - 09:34 PM

your knowledge never ceases to amaze me gray... crazy lol

thanks for the input, sorry I was again wrong hahaha these yz's got me all mixed up it seems

• motomarty871

Posted August 22, 2010 - 07:24 PM

do you know the specs on that? If I check the stator what are the tolorences. what am I looking for?

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2010 - 08:28 AM

do you know the specs on that? If I check the stator what are the tolorences. what am I looking for?

Download a manual:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• manhollio

Posted August 23, 2010 - 09:11 AM

Sorry in advance if this is a novice question but,,, what does it mean when you said that you "sealed the header"?

• Ryan426

Posted August 23, 2010 - 10:59 AM

Sorry in advance if this is a novice question but,,, what does it mean when you said that you "sealed the header"?

I took off the header and reinstalled using high temp silacone. then you let it cure for 12-24 hours.

• dubee

Posted September 07, 2010 - 10:14 AM

are you silaconen the header to mid pipe?? or both header to head and mid pipe?

• Ryan426

Posted September 07, 2010 - 10:50 AM

are you silaconen the header to mid pipe?? or both header to head and mid pipe?

Sealed the header to the head. Would'nt hurt to do the mid pipe Imo.

• dubee

Posted September 08, 2010 - 10:16 AM

on my mid pipe it looks as if i got some type of foam gasket? does that sound right? im not the first owner so i dont know if previous owner did anything to it or not.

Should i leave it on there and use silacone with it?

• Ryan426

Posted September 08, 2010 - 11:29 AM

on my mid pipe it looks as if i got some type of foam gasket? does that sound right? im not the first owner so i dont know if previous owner did anything to it or not.

Should i leave it on there and use silacone with it?

Foam?? ***!!! I would order a new one for the mid pipe. better safe then sorry bud.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.