Pro Tapers........

7 replies to this topic
  • YZR426

Posted February 07, 2001 - 05:39 AM

What style Pro Tapers do you run if you run any at all?
I used to run Renthal standard bars but kept on bending with any size fall (bad for budget)2 sets in 1 month.
So I have ordered Pro Taper CR HI's (used to run renthal McGrath) what do you think? They will cost about $220 here in OZ :)
stock renthals cost about $95 twin walls $240

[This message has been edited by YZR426 (edited 02-07-2001).]

• Odie

Posted February 07, 2001 - 07:15 AM

I've been using the Renthal Twin Wall (McGrath bend) since this past summer - great bars. A little pricey but I swear by these things. Remember, if you plan on using the universal adapters, they will add about 3/4" to 1" in height therefore requiring a low bend.

• dirtdad

Posted February 07, 2001 - 07:40 AM

I'm running Pro-Taper gold Doug Henry bend.
These are very close to current Yamaha bars
as far as bend is concerned. I have them mounted with an Applied Racing top clamp. The whole set up cost me $189.00 total. I love the bars. They are far superior to stock in every respect. Hope this helps.

• scottzx7rr

Posted February 07, 2001 - 09:30 AM

I run the Pro-Taper setup only. I swear by them after some major get-offs and not bending them once. I have used the Renthal's and always bent them. They are only about 20 dollars more than the Renthals plus the mounting kit(average 65 dollars).

Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBRguy

Posted February 07, 2001 - 10:07 PM

i run protaper yz-low bend...i crashed over a triple, and about killed myself (wrecked hard enough for me never to want to ride again) i had some brain swelling, and contusions and what not...anyway..all that hapened to the bike was the fork tubes twisted inside of my billet triple clamps, my dad saw the bike bounce off of the bars...and they only got tweaked, but i got a cheater bar and bent em back immediatly (well i didnt, i was almost dead) those things WONT bend, i swear by em. they are pricey, but you wont ever need a new set...see ya.

• YZR426

Posted February 07, 2001 - 04:52 PM

Thanx for the help guys
It is good to know that they will be worth the money.

• MXOldtimer

Posted February 07, 2001 - 08:41 PM

Pro Tapers Cr-lo is the first thing that goes on my bikes, I'll never use anything other than Pro Tapers

• Boit

Posted February 07, 2001 - 09:33 PM

From what I've heard from other riders,Pro-Tapers are the way to go. I have a set of Button bars as a back-up, ready to install on my 426, but if these get bent, Pro-Tapers will go on next.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.