Oil drain bolt on '06 yz450f

2 replies to this topic
  • Luigic81

Posted August 13, 2010 - 12:28 PM

Having done 2 oil changes now since buying this bike, I have to think that ther eis some kind of trick etc.. to getting the main oil drain bolt back on... I'm refering to the one on the kickstarter side on the bike, the one that for some reason is on the side of the engine opposed to being on the bottom like every other drain bolt in the world :banana: (except for the sump drain bolt on the other side which is also on the side, but that one has nothing blocking it)

after draining the oil it literally takes me like 5-10 minutes with slippery oil hands to get the threads started on the bolt to re-install it. Any tips/trips? I'm definately gunna buy the ratcheting box end wrench to make it easier to spin on once the threads are started, but getting the threads started is the hardest part.

I do have a skid plate on there, but it doesnt seem to be in the way anymore than the frame is

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2010 - 01:15 PM

If you have a skid plate other than the OEM one on the bike, it's in the way, trust me. I have the same problem. Just have to fuss with it a bit. It should be free enough to spin in and out with your fingers, though.

• Luigic81

Posted August 13, 2010 - 01:22 PM

ok I'll have to look when I get home to see if it's a non oem skid plate (probly is, works connection or something i dont remeber, it came with the bike)
if thats the case then I am just gunna remove the skid plate prior to drianing the oil, I would rather do that than struggle with oily hands trying to get this bolt started

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.