Carbon Fibre?

4 replies to this topic
  • YZR426

Posted February 06, 2001 - 04:53 PM

Do you think that we really need Carbon fibre or is it just for looks?
What I mean is do you think that you could loose 1/2 a pound of weight or more and in the process save heaps of money.
I feel the money that I save on both Titanium and Carbon Parts I can spend on tyres or other parts that would make me faster on race day.I feel that riding the bike more often will make you heaps faster than special bits.
What do you guys think?

(carbon is pretty though) :)

• Scott_F

Posted February 06, 2001 - 08:35 PM

You don't need carbon, but you do need plenty of fiber in your diet. It will help with that weight loss and overall good health.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Boit

Posted February 07, 2001 - 12:13 PM

YZR and Scott: I think you both make good sense. If the rider is over weight by 10 or more pounds, why not take off THAT weight and get into better shape rather than lighten the bike? About the only time I consider carbon fiber is when I damage something that needs replacing. I compare the cost difference between the CF parts and what I can get aftermarket. If it's just a few dollars more for the CF, I'll take a hard look at it, but to just replace perfectly good stock parts with CF, no, I don't see the benefit. I have a couple of CF parts on my bike that replaced damaged stock parts, except for the frame guards. I'm 5' 10" and around 170 pounds, so there is no more weight to remove from my old geezer body.

• Scott_F

Posted February 07, 2001 - 04:05 PM

I'm 6' and 165, so I trimmed 25 pounds and 176cc from my bike.

• YZR426

Posted February 07, 2001 - 05:05 PM

I'm 6'0 - 180lbs :) So I've got to lose about 7 - 12lbs to be on the money.
My fitness is good for club races and no good for National races,but I'm working on it.
I just don't think it's money well spent,unless you have bucket loads.Honestly can anybody tell me where you need carbon fibre for strenght on a late model MXer?
If it's strenght you need get some TITANIUM but then you will need bucket loads of cash!

[This message has been edited by YZR426 (edited 02-07-2001).]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.