Is this still okay to ride?

5 replies to this topic
  • Steel Panther

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:28 PM

I dropped my oil filter cover the other day and nicked it, do you guys think its still okay to run? See pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also my stock chain reached its limit and I got a new chain and sprockets. Im out with an almost severed index finger so I had my buddy help me with the installation. We didnt have a chain breaker on hand so I told him to use my angle grinder but the bit was cracked so he used the bench grinder and nicked the good link! Retard, but anyways it was on the top of the chain and I was just wondering if I should be worried about it. Its the nick on the left pin of the master link:
Posted Image
I didnt think it was that bad but he insists if it breaks he doesnt want to be responsible, what a good friend lol.

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2010 - 08:45 PM

The answer on the filter cover is in whether it leaks. No=Good, yes=not.

The nick in the chain is almost certainly not a problem either. If that were one of my Regina chains, that much of the plate would wear off on the lower guide before the chain needed replacement.

• matt4x4

Posted August 13, 2010 - 07:41 AM

agree with Grayracer - can't see the cover giving you issues, the gasket area is still intact and undamaged, I'd run the chain too, a good chain with a nick like that is still better than a crappy chain.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf450319

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:46 AM

X3, if the filter cover leaks.. replace it. If it doesn't, which I'd suspect it won't then leave it.

Your chain is just fine, buy your buddy a 6 pack for helping out and go ride.

• Steel Panther

Posted August 13, 2010 - 09:18 AM

^^ He went through at least 5 beers taking that link off lol. Were gonna ride as soon as I get my stitches out.

• cbrewer450

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:33 PM

^^ He went through at least 5 beers taking that link off lol. Were gonna ride as soon as I get my stitches out.

Well then, that explains the nick in the chain.:banana: Hope that finger heals up nicely.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.