Grayracer, what freq. do you use for changing MCF ?

13 replies to this topic
  • crf450319

Posted August 12, 2010 - 11:13 AM

Grayracer,

I ran 4 quarts of some 10-40 Torco T4S4 100% syn. oil through my bike, a buddy had a line on some through his distributor. I've switched over to Amsoil MCF 10-40 and was wondering what frequency you change yours at ? I've searched through your posts and found this "I change oil and clean the filter every second or third ride day."

I've got an hour meter and these have been my intervals :

Engine oil/filter change @ 2.5 hours - Torco T4SR 100% synthetic

April 24/10 Engine oil/filter changed @ 7.5 hours-Torco T4SR 100% syn 5 hrs

May11/10 Engine oil/filter changed @14.1 hours-Torco T4SR 100% syn 6.6 hrs

June 21/10 Engine oil/filter changed @ 20.3 hours-Torco T4SR syn 6.2 hrs

July 9/10 Engine oil/filter changed @ 27.9 hours Torco T4SR 7.6 hrs

August 6/10 Changed oil Torco T4R syn. Blend @ 35.1 hours 7.2 hours

So, I've changed the oil out between 5 hours to 7.6 hours, not including the break-in period.

I've got a case of MCF and am wondering if I should keep the same intervals between changes the same, or increase them ? Do you change your filter at every oil change ? I've done that up until this last change.

Thanks for your input !

• Wiz636

Posted August 12, 2010 - 12:53 PM

I don't know about Gray but I will run my MCF for ten hours of play riding or six hours of racing.

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2010 - 01:12 PM

I don't know about Gray but I will run my MCF for ten hours of play riding or six hours of racing.

That's about where I am.

I base the whole thing on ride days, and what kind of riding was involved, AND on how much is coming up on the next trip. If I'm headed to three or four days in the desert, I'm changing oil regardless of the fact it only has 2.5 hours on it.

Normally, I go 3 ride days, two if one is/was a race day.

• crf450319

Posted August 12, 2010 - 01:24 PM

I run MX only, nothing else and usually get anywhere from one hour (at a minimum) to a max of two per ride day. I ride at local tracks that are within 25 min. from my house for 90% of the riding that I do, so I'm never that far from my garage.

I think I might run the Amsoil for another hour, change it out after 8.5 hours of runtime. I'll try that and see what the oil looks like, if I like it then I'll stick with that.

Sending a sample to Blackstone Labs wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the input guys ! :banana:

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sending a sample to Blackstone Labs wouldn't hurt either.

Remember to follow all the guidelines regarding oil sampling. One of the surest ways to mess one up is to do a cold start before the sample without a good 15 minutes real ride time afterward to burn off the fuel you dumped in it on start up.

I believe Amsoil MCF is one of the very best oils for your bike that you can choose, but if you ride MX hard, and it's still a 40w after 8.5 hours, I will be impressed. Be sure to post your results or PM me with them.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 13, 2010 - 05:22 AM

Remember to follow all the guidelines regarding oil sampling. One of the surest ways to mess one up is to do a cold start before the sample without a good 15 minutes real ride time afterward to burn off the fuel you dumped in it on start up.

I believe Amsoil MCF is one of the very best oils for your bike that you can choose, but if you ride MX hard, and it's still a 40w after 8.5 hours, I will be impressed. Be sure to post your results or PM me with them.

Dam!!!!!......I must be changing mine way too soon. I've been changing mine around every hour and a half to two hours in the past. I've been tring to wait till 3 hours and then chage it.

For the heck of it just one time i might wait til I get 4 hours on it and then change it.

• crf450319

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:49 AM

Dam!!!!!......I must be changing mine way too soon. I've been changing mine around every hour and a half to two hours in the past. I've been tring to wait till 3 hours and then chage it.

For the heck of it just one time i might wait til I get 4 hours on it and then change it.

Well that depends on what oil you're running, I'll assume by your reply that you're running MCF or some other synthetic and not something like Rotella ? Rotella = change every ride, Amsoil (or any other quality synthetic) = not so much. Two different patterns of thought in regards to oil changes, neither is wrong/right IMO. Run a cheaper oil and change it every single ride, or spend some more $$ on a quality synthetic oil and run it a little longer.

I personally don't like the idea of having to change the oil/filter every time I ride, I don't have that much time and I like the idea of running a synthetic oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted August 13, 2010 - 12:29 PM

Well that depends on what oil you're running, I'll assume by your reply that you're running MCF or some other synthetic and not something like Rotella ? Rotella = change every ride, Amsoil (or any other quality synthetic) = not so much. Two different patterns of thought in regards to oil changes, neither is wrong/right IMO. Run a cheaper oil and change it every single ride, or spend some more $$ on a quality synthetic oil and run it a little longer.

I personally don't like the idea of having to change the oil/filter every time I ride, I don't have that much time and I like the idea of running a synthetic oil.

Yes!....mcf is what i run so with my new 2010 I have been practicing twice (2 session) before i change it. A practice session usually is about 1 and a half hours of riding.

So I have been waiting around 3 hours before I chage it when just practicing.

However when I race which i run in 2 classes and those combined ='s around 1 and a half hours including the practice session in the mornings. After this (a race) i will then change it.

I probally could go another practice day but guess i will just do it like this.

• cjxrider125

Posted August 13, 2010 - 02:14 PM

if your changing oil every 7-8 hours, are you cleaning the filter in between then or just every oil change?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted August 13, 2010 - 02:19 PM

I use Filtron stainless filters and clean mine every time i change the oil. I have three of them so when i change the oil I have another one ready to put in.
When both are dirty i go ahead and clean the two and have em ready.

• crf450319

Posted August 13, 2010 - 08:20 PM

if your changing oil every 7-8 hours, are you cleaning the filter in between then or just every oil change?

I've been replacing the filter with a new one every oil change to date, excluding the very last oil change that I did the other day while I was at the track.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted August 14, 2010 - 03:24 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, and I hate asking what might be a stupid question, but......

When I go to Amsoil's website, I can't find any oil called "MCF". :eek:

Which Amsoil product is it you all are talking about ;)

Again, sorry about this question, and thanks to you guys for putting out some really good info! :banana:

Jimmie

• ReedRulz

Posted August 14, 2010 - 04:56 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, and I hate asking what might be a stupid question, but......

When I go to Amsoil's website, I can't find any oil called "MCF". :eek:

Which Amsoil product is it you all are talking about ;)

Again, sorry about this question, and thanks to you guys for putting out some really good info! :banana:

Jimmie

Amsoil motorcycle oil 10W40
http://www.amsoil.co...efront/mcf.aspx

• Mr. Neutron

Posted August 14, 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanks, MXR300EX!!! ;) :banana: :lol:

I dunno why I couldn't find that when I went to their website earlier.... :eek: :lol:

Jimmie

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.