5 replies to this topic
  • vegasguy

Posted June 19, 2003 - 06:58 AM

Does anyone know where you can get the socket for the steering stem and the swing arm? I heard you can get it a Sears but not sure what they are called.

• Rokatt88

Posted June 19, 2003 - 09:23 AM

I got mine at Pep Boys. I'm at work and can't check the socket size. What I did was use a cresent wrench the has measuring for size on the side and was able to get the size dialed . I believe it is 1 1/4" or 1 1/8". While I was there I got a 1 1/8, 1 3/16 & a 1 1/4" socket. I have been able to use all of them on my scoots! :)

• vegasguy

Posted June 19, 2003 - 09:26 AM

Those are the slotted socket sizes? I will go to pep boys after work to check it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650Rrider

Posted June 19, 2003 - 09:52 AM

For the slotted one on the steering head, just use a set of channel locks. The torque value is so small you won't mess it up. For the swing arm pre-load you can make a set out of sockets using a dremel tool and cut-off disk. You can buy a disk brake tool at Autozone or Pepboys that I used the first time to remove it. There is a picture of it on the yahoo XR650 group in the files section. There is also a "Honda Oil Filter & Clutch Hub Spanner socket" that is sold by Motion Pro that is supposed to fit the slots. There is a picture of this at http://www.motionpro...icetools_3.html
You could also stick a couple of punches into the slots and wedge a screwdriver between them and take it out. Once you have it out try this link.

• secretatlas

Posted June 19, 2003 - 01:38 PM

nice post xr650rrider.

• vegasguy

Posted June 20, 2003 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for your help on this.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.