2003 wr450 top dead center

2 replies to this topic
  • 450wr03

Posted August 10, 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hello i had the timing chain tensioner out of my bike and the crank got turned a revolution or so and the chain skipped a couple teeth on the cams. How do i make sure the piston is at top dead center to line the cams back up ? i would assume there is top dead center for intake and exhaust stroke. And would assume the piston has got to be top dead center on compression stroke. I know to look through the hole on the side case and line up the marks mine has 3 marks within 1/8 of each other on the rotor witch one do i line up and make sure the piston is at top dead center to line the cams up ? Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted August 10, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hello i had the timing chain tensioner out of my bike and the crank got turned a revolution or so and the chain skipped a couple teeth on the cams. How do i make sure the piston is at top dead center to line the cams back up ? i would assume there is top dead center for intake and exhaust stroke. And would assume the piston has got to be top dead center on compression stroke. I know to look through the hole on the side case and line up the marks mine has 3 marks within 1/8 of each other on the rotor witch one do i line up and make sure the piston is at top dead center to line the cams up ? Thanks

The ignition fires on both TDC's so it doesn't matter when setting up the cams whether you are on compression or exhaust stroke. The first 2 marks on the flywheel make a H and the third a I. Use the third mark.

• Lcpl0331

Posted August 11, 2010 - 06:00 PM

put a long screw driver in the spark plug hole so that it's resting on the piston. As you turn the crank watch the screw driver. It'll go up and down as your turn the crank. When it gets to the highest point your at TDC.
Double check by making sure all your dots line up like the manual says and your good to go. Worked for me when I did the exact same thing you did.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.