Valves leaking?

7 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:49 PM

Just opened up my 09 YZ450F to do my first top end and 2 of the intake valves seems to have some oily residue on it, is it oil? do I need to replace valve seals?
Did it damage valve seat at all, if so could it be fixed or do I have to buy new valves?
I noticed it was harder to start, also popping more often and dying when in low rpms.

Mark

• ForsheeMS

Posted August 10, 2010 - 06:12 AM

It's normal to see the 2 outer intake valves covered in an oily looking carbon while the center intake looks like brand new. When I do a top end I disassemble the cylinder head to clean and inspect everything and at that point I always replace the valve stem seals. What you are describing sounds like typical Yamaha to me.

The poppong issue could be that the carb needs a good cleaning.

• czechalien

Posted August 10, 2010 - 07:39 AM

few pics. on the cylinder u can still see the criss cross pattern. I cant feel any indentations near the top either.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• czechalien

Posted August 10, 2010 - 06:23 PM

Guys, does it look normal?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STROKEDIESEL

Posted August 10, 2010 - 07:03 PM

how much have you ridden that bike to be doing a topend already? i cant see the pictures on this computer until tomorrow but if in doubt measure.

• sacfelix

Posted August 10, 2010 - 07:16 PM

[quote name='czechalien']Just opened up my 09 YZ450F to do my first top end and 2 of the intake valves seems to have some oily residue on it, is it oil? do I need to replace valve seals?

Did it damage valve seat at all, if so could it be fixed or do I have to buy new valves?

I noticed it was harder to start, also popping more often and dying when in low rpms.

[COLOR="Blue"]I would replace the valve seals anyways as a piece of mind. They are cheap and easy to install. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]Have you adjusted the valves at all? When you remove the valves to replace the seals you will be able to check the valve seats. If the valves are starting to cup then you will have to recut the seats and replace the valves. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="blue"]This might have been due to the valves being out of spec as well.[/COLOR]

• czechalien

Posted August 11, 2010 - 04:09 PM

I have 58 hrs on it since I bought it new in March.
Cylinder is in greta shape had someone hone it, so no problem there.
Also valves looks still good and to my surprise still in spec after 58 hrs.

received new crancase1 gasket and cam chain today so that's installed.
Still waiting on the rest.

• sacfelix

Posted August 11, 2010 - 05:00 PM

I got 246hrs on my 06yz450 before I did a full rebuild on it. I adjusted the valves right after I broke her in and that was it. I took very good care of my bike and rode the heck out of it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.