Brake Cleaner vs. Engine Degreaser

17 replies to this topic
  • bikerdude11

Posted August 09, 2010 - 02:43 PM

Is there much of a difference? I have seen cleaners such as Brake & Parts Cleaner, which you can use on brakes and other parts. I have a can of Honda Engine Degreaser and was wondering if it is safe to use on brakes?

• rusky

Posted August 09, 2010 - 02:45 PM

Engine degreaser is a different animal. Think of it as that hand cleaner (They call it Goop around here) but for your engine. It leaves a shiny/oily coat after you wash it off so I would not recommend it for cleaning brakes.

• bikerdude11

Posted August 09, 2010 - 03:08 PM

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, so I'll get some actual brake cleaner to use.

• rusky

Posted August 09, 2010 - 03:32 PM

yea use either brake or carb cleaner. Brake cleaner is a bit cheaper most of the time.

• Chickenhauler

Posted August 10, 2010 - 12:45 AM

Engine degreaser is usually based in kerosene or diesel fuel to 'soften up' the crusted on grease and crud so it can be washed away.

This is bad for brakes.

Stick to brake cleaner for brakes, carb cleaner for carbs, and degreasers for your hair after auditioning for Jersey Shore.

• bikerdude11

Posted August 10, 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hahaha, thanks for the advice! Brake cleaner is safer to use in carbs though, correct? Carb cleaner will eat away at some of the parts?

• MrBlahh

Posted August 10, 2010 - 10:26 AM

brake cleaner is some strong stuff, if your in california they denutted it, but the rest of us can still buy the good stuff with chlorine in it

• bikerdude11

Posted August 10, 2010 - 10:34 AM

Denutted?

• MrBlahh

Posted August 10, 2010 - 10:35 AM

Denutted?

california banned the good stuff and they have shitty weak brake cleaner, they cut the nuts off of it

• bikerdude11

Posted August 10, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Oh okay, sorry I was reading it wrong. De-nutted. :banana:

• Chickenhauler

Posted August 10, 2010 - 11:11 AM

Hahaha, thanks for the advice! Brake cleaner is safer to use in carbs though, correct? Carb cleaner will eat away at some of the parts?

Brake cleaner is really harsh on plastics and rubber items. It will melt plastics like an oven (if you have the good stuff). Remember, your float is made of plastic.

• bikerdude11

Posted August 17, 2010 - 06:38 PM

Brake cleaner is really harsh on plastics and rubber items. It will melt plastics like an oven (if you have the good stuff). Remember, your float is made of plastic.

Did you mean brake cleaner or carb cleaner? Would brake cleaner be safe to use on the carburetor jets when I pull them out?

• yz144builderlol

Posted August 17, 2010 - 06:49 PM

ok so I got a question... is there anything that will leave the surface 100% clean and free of anything, even after the "spray" has evaporated?

I dont think its brake clean... I had a friend clean a glass ornament that had water with brake clean and it kinda left an oily/cloudy flim on the surface of the glass. kinda makes you wonder what it leaves elsewhere.

• Chickenhauler

Posted August 19, 2010 - 01:45 AM

Did you mean brake cleaner or carb cleaner? Would brake cleaner be safe to use on the carburetor jets when I pull them out?

Brake cleaner is OK on jets, just keep it away from your gaskets, o-rings and float.

ok so I got a question... is there anything that will leave the surface 100% clean and free of anything, even after the "spray" has evaporated?

I dont think its brake clean... I had a friend clean a glass ornament that had water with brake clean and it kinda left an oily/cloudy flim on the surface of the glass. kinda makes you wonder what it leaves elsewhere.

You 100% sure it was glass? It wasn't plastic of one type or another?

• yz144builderlol

Posted August 19, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Brake cleaner is OK on jets, just keep it away from your gaskets, o-rings and float.

You 100% sure it was glass? It wasn't plastic of one type or another?

yes it was 100% glass

Edited by yz144builderlol, August 19, 2010 - 10:08 AM.

• slow hand

Posted August 19, 2010 - 08:10 AM

Be real, real careful applying flame to anything that has been cleaned with chlorinated brake cleaner.

The flame can actually convert the residual chlorine into phosgene (a real nasty gas that has been used as a chemical weapon).

There have been cases reported of people suffering severe nerve damage and injury to mucous membranes after they cleaned a surface that they were going to weld with chlorinated brake cleaner.

• yz144builderlol

Posted August 19, 2010 - 08:28 AM

Be real, real careful applying flame to anything that has been cleaned with chlorinated brake cleaner.

The flame can actually convert the residual chlorine into phosgene (a real nasty gas that has been used as a chemical weapon).

There have been cases reported of people suffering severe nerve damage and injury to mucous membranes after they cleaned a surface that they were going to weld with chlorinated brake cleaner.

damn... that sounds nasty. youd think they would warn you of that right on the front of the bottle?

• GSP2

Posted August 19, 2010 - 08:57 AM

^ You're being funny right.

Use only in well ventilated areas
Keep away from heat and sources of ignition
Do not spray on a naked flame or incandescent material.
Do not pierce or burn aerosols, even after use.
Do not breathe aerosols or vapours.
Avoid contact with skin and eyes.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.