07 WR450 - smashed header... buy OEM or aftermarket?

18 replies to this topic
  • coloradobrad

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:49 AM

What's the TT consensus? I've been watching ebay and CL for a used OEM pipe but no luck so far. I'll prob buy a new one this week.

Any advice? OEM, GYTR, powerbomb?

Thanks!

• William1

Posted August 09, 2010 - 08:57 AM

Depends.

You probably can get a low hour used OEM one for next to nothing.

A brand new one for a fair chunk of cash.

A Power Bomb or the like for a little less, but it changes the torque curve (a good or bad thing, depends if you want it changed).

• t-rev8

Posted August 09, 2010 - 10:17 AM

Dr.d full system

• SPLATT

Posted August 09, 2010 - 10:18 AM

I don't know it if it's possible with your 07 but I used a stainless header pipe off of a YFZ450 quad on my 04 WR. It's a bit thicker than the titanium WR pipe and doesn't noticeably change the power characteristics.

Steve

• jayh300

Posted August 09, 2010 - 10:19 AM

smashed mine a 3 weeks ago... gonna try to freeze it out..

got plenty of time to try with a broken ankle from 2 weeks ago's ride....

• coloradobrad

Posted August 09, 2010 - 11:04 AM

Depends.

You probably can get a low hour used OEM one for next to nothing.

A brand new one for a fair chunk of cash.

A Power Bomb or the like for a little less, but it changes the torque curve (a good or bad thing, depends if you want it changed).

I wouldn't mind a bit more low end. I have plenty up top. Does a power bomb header feel any different? (seat of the pants feel)

• coloradobrad

Posted August 09, 2010 - 11:07 AM

I don't know it if it's possible with your 07 but I used a stainless header pipe off of a YFZ450 quad on my 04 WR. It's a bit thicker than the titanium WR pipe and doesn't noticeably change the power characteristics.

Steve

Good idea. I'll look into this. Is the outer diameter of the quad header the same as a WR? I have a Leo Vince silencer. Whatever I get needs to fit the inner diameter of the graphite "doughnut" on my LV.

• coloradobrad

Posted August 09, 2010 - 11:09 AM

Dr.d full system

That's a nice system... but I already have a Leo Vince silencer. IMO my LV sounds wicked and only 94 dB. I don't want to give it up.

• coloradobrad

Posted August 09, 2010 - 11:11 AM

smashed mine a 3 weeks ago... gonna try to freeze it out..

got plenty of time to try with a broken ankle from 2 weeks ago's ride....

There's no way a freeze\thaw\freeze cycle will fix what I did!! :eek:

So sorry about the ankle. Broke mine last year. I feel your pain. Hang in there :banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted August 09, 2010 - 11:34 AM

There's no way a freeze\thaw\freeze cycle will fix what I did!! :eek:

So sorry about the ankle. Broke mine last year. I feel your pain. Hang in there :banana:

way to go... have been watching ebay also.. there is not much on there right now..

• 2in2out

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:58 PM

I felt the Powerbomb really opened up the top end, but also allowed some nice low end grunt. Jetting it was easy.

• MaxPower

Posted August 09, 2010 - 08:49 PM

[COLOR="Green"]the quad pipe will fit a 400 426 and 450 up to 05
Will not fit the aluminum frame bike
I may have one that will fit your bike
I will have to look tomorrow
[/COLOR]

• kawi380

Posted August 10, 2010 - 04:44 AM

I did the same thing about 4 months ago to my 08wr450f. I bought a brand new 09yz450 pipe for $35 on ebay. I got the whole system: head pipe and silencer. Then I bought the PMB spark arrestor end cap and am loving it. Look for a YZ pipe, although the yz head pipe is larger in diameter (a few mm) than the WR so I am not sure if if will mate with your LV silencer.

• tweav

Posted August 10, 2010 - 11:52 PM

I Know my stock head pipe is on the shelf in my backroom if you still need one . I'll send it to you for 15 bucks . its a 0 mile pipe I pulled it before I ever rode the bike. but I only have the head pipe yet.

• WR450FGreg

Posted August 11, 2010 - 02:50 PM

Look for a YZ pipe, although the yz head pipe is larger in diameter (a few mm) than the WR so I am not sure if if will mate with your LV silencer.

kawi350 is right.

The (non-PowerBomb) Australian model '08 YZ450F actually had a larger diameter than the (PowerBomb) '09 version. Not sure if its the same for models in other countries.

I measured them up last year and posted the results here in Thumpertalk somewhere.

Greg

• tweav

Posted August 11, 2010 - 05:41 PM

pm's replied to:thumbsup:

• coloradobrad

Posted August 11, 2010 - 07:39 PM

pm's replied to:thumbsup:

pm'd you back. Thanks :banana:

• strtdsmallproject

Posted August 13, 2010 - 06:42 PM

same boat broken arm so i have time to fix all the stuff that has been waitin!

• chevytrkn1

Posted September 26, 2010 - 06:09 AM

I also have the stock head pipe off of my 07 somewhere in my garage if ya need it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.