09 or 10. need advice.

50 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted September 14, 2010 - 09:03 AM

do the 2010's need an aftermarket pipe? The exhaust outlet hole looks to be on the smaller side for a 450.

• tech24

Posted September 14, 2010 - 09:15 AM

From what I understand they benefit most from a silencer. It smooths out powerband a bit. I'm gonna get an MRD slip-on as soon as I can spend some cash.

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2010 - 09:28 AM

do the 2010's need an aftermarket pipe? The exhaust outlet hole looks to be on the smaller side for a 450.

It depends on what kind of power you want. The stock system gives good power up to the top end of the rev range, but cuts off kind of quickly on top. The reason is said to be that the stock silencer has an abrupt step down in size as a sneaky way to reduce noise. If you want more "over rev", Dave at MRD feels that based on his testing, the stock header is perfectly fine as is, so he's offering a slip-on that apparently works as well as at least most of the full systems, and quite a bit better top end than stock.

• JuggaloYZ250F

Posted September 14, 2010 - 09:33 AM

i would get the 09 if i were you. especially if its cheaper than you could put the money into modding it

• RCannon

Posted September 14, 2010 - 03:33 PM

Which bike do you want? Really, unless we race to support out families thats what the bike is...a want. A good price really is not a good price if its not the bike you want to keep for a while.

By asking the question, I THINK you want the 10 and would be settling for the 2009.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Aka.Goose

Posted September 14, 2010 - 03:53 PM

If you can find a 10 for 6G's do it...sweet bike, great deal...
If not, I'd find a used low hour 09 from a weekend warrior for less $, but set up with a/m stuff like new tires, clamps, pipe, chain/sprocket, suspension work, etc...
But I wouldn't go from a nicely set up 05 to a stock 09...

• Family Man

Posted September 14, 2010 - 07:34 PM

Id say go for the 2010, thats what I plan to do soon.

• BEE5S4

Posted September 15, 2010 - 06:46 AM

I have decided to go with the 10 . now i just need someone to by my 05

• tnat1

Posted September 15, 2010 - 12:49 PM

id take the 09, unless your a pro or a class racer youll never notice the difference, i raced this past weekend on my 08 with graves pipe, rejeted and i race supermoto, we have a 9mph straight at rd america and since ive rejeted correctly the new efi bikes had maybe a tiny bit advantage out of the corners but at full acceleration down the straight i was making up time on them. i also give up abot 3-5 HP to the lighter guys as im 225 with all gear on compared to 175lbs for most of the guys out there. i need to loose weight and next year get the stroker big bore kit!

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2010 - 01:30 PM

... we have a 9mph straight at rd america ...

That must be really frightening coming to the end of that! :ride:

SM and MX are considerably different. The edge the '10 has is not in power, or in any way related to EFI at all, but has to do with it's vastly improved ability to turn in and hold a line in a corner in the dirt.

• tech24

Posted September 16, 2010 - 03:49 AM

That must be really frightening coming to the end of that! :ride:

SM and MX are considerably different. The edge the '10 has is not in power, or in any way related to EFI at all, but has to do with it's vastly improved ability to turn in and hold a line in a corner in the dirt.

And it seems to do that well, IMO

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.