Loud bikes

145 replies to this topic
  • endurodog

Posted June 25, 2003 - 01:38 PM

Adam I'm with ya, I'm 38 and hope that we can ride for a long time to come, head on confrontations wont get us there, but neither will conceding on issues, like noise, and getting nothing in return.

• Dan_from_HB

Posted June 25, 2003 - 02:32 PM

Your 96 DB bike is as noticable to those against us as the old 103 DB bike. We do need to be curtous on the trail, slow down when passing other users, be as quite as possible (with in reason), educate our friends on multi-use forest, so that we can try to win the majority over. But lets not be fooled into thinking that we can win these over by lowering the DB limit by 7 DB.

Amen.....

I share the same opinion...

In my opinion, anyone who has put a pipe on their bike or modified their stock pipe and is now making more than about 100db, has screwed up their bike for trail riding. Sorry, but that is how I think about it.

Oldbones, I agree with you too.....

Dan from HB, Nice to hear from you!! You are one fast guy!!! I know, I tried to loose you a couple of times with poor results....... You have to admit, the performance of these machines is why you bought them in the first place, my dad has the "Q" pipe on his bike and I can run away from him with my TI-4 (I realize that it's rider too), we've race bikes many times.. I've ridden his bike, doesn't have the pull that my bike has, and it's obvious.. We swap bikes all the time and we both agree...

For closed course competition I want to have a bike that runs at its best, Yes I am at 103dbs but it has it's benefits in the desert...... Do you guys still think I'm a villan?

Dan :)

Hey there, Danny me boy! Good to hear from you, too. I haven't been up here on TT for a few weeks at least. I hosted a race on Father's Day weekend. I was really busy getting ready for that. Took about 3-4 weekends in the dez to get everything right. Speeds were a little high for a summer enduro, but it couldn't have gone better.
As for whether you are a villain. Yeah, right! Isn't your nickname Dudley Dooright of the Mountains?
The problem I have with noise levels is specifically that they shouldn't be imposed on sanctioned competition events. Can you imagine a 96Db limit in a NASCAR race??? The good ol' boys would have their congressman by the nape of the neck. Additionally, I think the general public fully expects sanctioned competition to be noisy.
I think the only place the limits should be allowed is on trail riding. That's the majority of riders that come in contact with Joe Q Public. I also like the stuff about behaving ourselves when in close proximity to people, buildings, mad dogs, and Englishmen. We need to project an image of well-behaved citizens before the politicians or the public will take our complaints seriously. Otherwise, we are just pi$$!ng up a rope.
This is a win-able fight to keep public land open. We just can't be perceived as an unruly bunch of scofflaws and misfits like the enviro geeks.
Dan
PS: I just pm'd WR250FMike about a ride in the mountains this summer. Maybe Kennedy Meadows, maybe somewhere else. You up for that?

Dan

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 25, 2003 - 02:39 PM

Maybe Kennedy Meadows, maybe somewhere else. You up for that?

You know I am.....

Dan, Great to hear from you, I hope all is well with the wife and kids......

• endurodog

Posted June 25, 2003 - 06:36 PM

series as I did with my Power Core IV. Anyone wanna race a decrepit 45 year old relic? If you win, I shut up and go away. If I win, you buy a quiet pipe. Any takers?

Ohhha absolutly!!!!!!!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 25, 2003 - 07:25 PM

Sure everyone on TT will quiet their bikes up, I did. Took off the WB and put a FMF Q on. Sold my WB to a guy in LA. Moved the problem to the south :naughty:The four friends I ride with (3 on KTM's) have pipes louder than my WB and don't plan on changing and don't visit any forums, use the internet for ordering parts only. So a small minority of riders (us) will comply and everyone else will go riding while we debate this subject to death. After we loose all the riding area's we can buy Harleys and make all the noise we want :)

• endurodog

Posted June 26, 2003 - 02:49 AM

Now, at the Hollister Hills OHV park,

I found this on the issue;

http://www.off-road...._expansion.html

but it doesn't mention the specifics of the noise levels, I"m sure they have some standard set, although the article talks about testing to set a base line on noise, and how it is generated by OHV's but no set DB limit as of yet. Sounds like from this article that they were as concerned with dust also, and on a smaller note, where everyone was parking. Are there any other articles out there on the agreement?

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 26, 2003 - 03:08 AM

EDog

I Will look into that sputter may have more info. BUt the initial test were done with riders from the park, the Hollister Hills rider association, Home owners groups the State of course and the Farmers association. They did take a few days to run random tests and samples per the E.I.R. Requirements for which these results have not been posted as far as I know or heard. I have ben told though by the HHRA and a ranger there that the sound levels were much less then they anticipated. However the Dust is a big issue, and they are mandated to use dust deterrents on the main roads in to the park.

Another However, the freaking brainless QUAD riders still have this stupid notion that spinning donuts in the Parking/Camping areas is there right, Man I wish I had a Base Ball bat when I see that crap.....

• endurodog

Posted June 26, 2003 - 03:28 AM

Thanks EGO, since Hollister is/sounds like one of the most used OHV parks in the nation things that are used there will probably be used else where in the future.

By the way I owe you $5 on your bet huh :) Couldn't help myself

• Merfman

Posted June 26, 2003 - 03:37 AM

> Another However, the freaking brainless QUAD riders still have this stupid notion that spinning donuts in the Parking/Camping areas is there right, Man I wish I had a Base Ball bat when I see that crap.....

Whatcha really need is:
1 4" PVC endcap
1 1' section of 4" PVC
1 4" to 2" PVC reducer
1 4' section of 2" PVC
1 can White Rain hairspray
1 Lantern igniter
1 2# bag o Idaho's finest

Assemble PVC as needed. Insert spud. Insert WR. Ignite.

Merf

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 26, 2003 - 07:49 AM

The problem I have with noise levels is specifically that they shouldn't be imposed on sanctioned competition events. Can you imagine a 96Db limit in a NASCAR race??? The good ol' boys would have their congressman by the nape of the neck. Additionally, I think the general public fully expects sanctioned competition to be noisy.
I think the only place the limits should be allowed is on trail riding. That's the majority of riders that come in contact with Joe Q Public.

Aren't most enduros & hare scrambles run on public land here in CA? And the area/trails are open to multiple use during the sanctioned competion events.....

I agree with to some extent about closed course events - ie supercross/Glen Helen - not being subject to individual bike dB limits but I'm willing to bet the use permits for those venues have a property line dB limit. I can't imagine a SX race would come anywhere near the property line noise that a Rolling Stones concert would generate.

Endurodog - not trying to blow you off, just haven't had the time to sit down and formulate my response.

Brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • endurodog

Posted June 26, 2003 - 09:10 AM

Endurodog - not trying to blow you off, just haven't had the time to sit down and formulate my response.

Take as much time as ya need, things get busy. Hopefully its more insightful than "Shut up".

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 26, 2003 - 11:56 AM

Ouch....... touche

Brian

Take as much time as ya need, things get busy. Hopefully its more insightful than "Shut up".

• wrkaholic

Posted June 26, 2003 - 12:19 PM

Hey Merfman, I am with you 100%. They always seem to do that right next to my truck. I drive in the dirt slow to avoid getting my truck very dusty and I am successful. Then this yahoo comes along and starts doing donuts with a quad in the campground, usually upwind from my truck and campsite. I told one guy very nicely, hey, you have 40,000 acres to do that in, why do you have to do it in the camp ground and dust everybody out? He looked at like I was an idiot and said this is what it is all about, what was my problem :)

• Merfman

Posted June 26, 2003 - 12:45 PM

You did about all you could really do, unfortunately. If
he thinks "that's what it's all about" then he won't be
in the sport any longer than his chain and top end lasts.

Idiots like that burn very brightly, but fortunately, they
usually burn out quickly.

Just walk away and ask yourself "What am I? Flypaper for morons?" :)

Merf

• FTD

Posted June 26, 2003 - 01:16 PM

OK, OK, OK, OK...
I read my two posts on this topic this afternoon and I am a hypocrite. I stated, "Be active" at the end of my first post. How am I being active against the cause if I don't at least try out my quiet cap on my FMF? I am not. Heck, I haven't even taken my Q cap out of the tool box to put on yet. I will try my Q cap next week, be honest with myself, and make a decision if I REALLY am faster, on the trail with the loud cap. We'll see. I will miss the "BRAAAAAP" regardless. Out in the desert boonies... loud cap it is... the jack rabbits and coyotes won't care will they?
Hoss

• FTD

Posted June 26, 2003 - 02:57 PM

The tree greenies should hug:
Posted Image
The tree I would hug:
Posted Image
Hoss

• DGrizz

Posted June 26, 2003 - 03:00 PM

I have lived here on the edge of the National Forrest (300 feet) for a long time. I do not want anyone to know I'm here. I have a XR 400 and a WR450 03. Flatlanders with loud pipes are not invited here to ride. Go to PiPi or Georgetown and let the Forrest Cops chase you around and come to your camp and check your loud pipes and fire permits. :D :) :D :D Liv'en in heaven at way less tnan 96DB's.

• Dan_from_HB

Posted June 26, 2003 - 03:51 PM

series as I did with my Power Core IV. Anyone wanna race a decrepit 45 year old relic? If you win, I shut up and go away. If I win, you buy a quiet pipe. Any takers?

Ohhha absolutly!!!!!!!

Bring it, Dog!
Just make sure you have a spare $350 or so in your checking account, we'll find a neutral layout, then we can get to it!
Danny Lorenze can be the referee.
Tell ya what, I'll even throw in a cold beer if you beat my butt.
Dan

• endurodog

Posted June 26, 2003 - 05:05 PM

Bring it, Dog!

Hey your the one talking the smack! You bring it. How bout any enduro in the TSCEC or RMEC curcuit, I'm at most of them. Or an MX. Why do I need $350, if its for a quite pipe, I all ready have a VOR tip for mine. You just bring your humble pie and bib that fits ya!! If ya can't make it to a neutral layout we can even compare race results from this or even last year. And I'll even bring the beer, how bout Taylor Park in Colorado, I know from one of your earlier post you are interested in riding that area :)

• Eagle426

Posted June 26, 2003 - 05:13 PM

DON"T STOP NOW, THUMPERTALK IS ON ITS WAY TO THE GUINESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS WITH THIS THREAD:

THIS VERY WELL MIGHT BE THE WORLDS LARGEST PISSING CONTEST TO DATE! :D :D :) :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.