Yamaha Wheel Spokes

12 replies to this topic
  • 04mxyz250f

Posted August 05, 2010 - 08:41 AM

Where can I buy single spokes for my bike? 2008 YZ450F. Everyone I call says they only come in a kit and I broke 3 front spokes. If I can't buy single spokes anywhere, are there other spokes that will fit? Honda 450 spokes are sold in singles but I don't know if they are the same as the Yamaha.

• davidl9999

Posted August 05, 2010 - 08:46 AM

Pretty sure they only come in sets from the factory:
SPOKE SET, FRONT
5NY-25104-00-00
No idea who sells singles.

Chances are, these won't be the only three that you break. Can't hurt to have some extras imo.

• MXKyle

Posted August 05, 2010 - 11:33 AM

Kawasaki sells individual spokes and if you have a savy Kawie parts guy he will know which ones fit your Yamaha.

My shop sells Yamaha and Kawasaki, I just asked for a spoke and they fixed me up and told me it was a Kawasaki spoke. I never bothered to get a part number so I can't help you there.

Good luck,
KT

• RCannon

Posted August 06, 2010 - 04:55 PM

Kawasaki sells individual spokes and if you have a savy Kawie parts guy he will know which ones fit your Yamaha.

My shop sells Yamaha and Kawasaki, I just asked for a spoke and they fixed me up and told me it was a Kawasaki spoke. I never bothered to get a part number so I can't help you there.

Good luck,
KT

I dont think your idea here is far off. I just bought an aftermarket front spoke set. It is listed as fitting yz/rm/kx front 21 inch wheels. I imagine the nipple size might be different, but spoke size mist be similar.

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted August 06, 2010 - 07:00 PM

takasago is takasago. that being said i think most hubs are made by the manufacturer of the bike rather than excel. they shouldnt be to far off. looking at my 02 kx vs. the 07 yzf there is little to no difference in even the hubs. id almost bet they would swap over.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted August 07, 2010 - 06:04 AM

Where can I buy single spokes for my bike? 2008 YZ450F. Everyone I call says they only come in a kit and I broke 3 front spokes. If I can't buy single spokes anywhere, are there other spokes that will fit? Honda 450 spokes are sold in singles but I don't know if they are the same as the Yamaha.

Hey, 04mxyz250f!

I'd try Buchanan's Rim & Spoke. I've bought and used complete sets from them, but don't know if they sell individual spokes. They've always been great folks to deal with.....

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

Jimmie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drewbbie

Posted August 07, 2010 - 07:28 AM

i just went thew this exact problem
honda spokes are smaller and wont fit
any spoke that is excel should fit
as for them being in singles i think you are sol
i had to replace 4 spokes on mine had to buy the kit
i was able to split the cost of it with my buddy at the shop tho
my advice is buy the kit becouse you will one day need another spoke and one day your buddys will need spokes

• KJ790

Posted August 08, 2010 - 02:11 AM

Moose now sells individual OEM replacement spokes that are the same as stock. I believe you can get individual spokes from Buchanon as well.

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2010 - 09:06 AM

If the Kawasaki spokes actually fit, I'd a lot sooner buy those than Moose unless I knew more about them. Moose products come from so many different sources that their quality level is all over the map, and I have a hard time trusting some of it. They may be just fine, though.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 04, 2010 - 04:52 PM

Sorry if resurrecting this old thread is a pain. I wanted to try to get some stuff in this thread that I've recently found out.....

I had one of the spoke nipples on my rear wheel "break", or come apart, in a weird way a few weeks ago. The wide, sorta bell-shaped portion of the spoke nipple that is inside the rim broke/separated from the portion that is outside of the rim (with the flats for the spoke wrench). This caused a couple of flats, and needed to get fixed.

The catch was that Yamaha apparently only sells spoke nipples with a complete set of spokes. I forget the price on that, but it was considerably more than what I felt I wanted to pay. :ride:

I found out that Buchanan's Spoke & Rim will indeed sell you a spoke nipple. But the nipples they manufacture are threaded to fit their spokes. They cut American threads on their spokes & nipples. So if you want to simply replace either 1 spoke, or one nipple, you have have to buy a spoke & nipple combo from them. The spoke & nipple each cost $1.43. They have a Handling Fee for orders under $30 :smirk: , which is $6. $8.86 so far, without shipping costs. UPS ground shipping costs ($10.64) from CA to OR brought my total to $19.50 :lol:

I thought just for giggles, I'd see if the Kawi spoke nipple would work out. I ordered one, and waited for a week for it to arrive. The aluminum Kawi spoke nipple does indeed fit the stock Yamaha spoke. It's p/n 141032-1086, at a cost of $2.99. :lol: I don't know if the Kawi spoke would fit, as I didn't need or buy one. But the nipple fits nicely. I hope this info might help someone in the future.

I also wonder if these nipple are prone to breaking like mine did? :excuseme:

Jimmie

• KJ790

Posted November 05, 2010 - 05:08 AM

Sorry if resurrecting this old thread is a pain. I wanted to try to get some stuff in this thread that I've recently found out.....

I had one of the spoke nipples on my rear wheel "break", or come apart, in a weird way a few weeks ago. The wide, sorta bell-shaped portion of the spoke nipple that is inside the rim broke/separated from the portion that is outside of the rim (with the flats for the spoke wrench). This caused a couple of flats, and needed to get fixed.

The catch was that Yamaha apparently only sells spoke nipples with a complete set of spokes. I forget the price on that, but it was considerably more than what I felt I wanted to pay. :ride:

I found out that Buchanan's Spoke & Rim will indeed sell you a spoke nipple. But the nipples they manufacture are threaded to fit their spokes. They cut American threads on their spokes & nipples. So if you want to simply replace either 1 spoke, or one nipple, you have have to buy a spoke & nipple combo from them. The spoke & nipple each cost $1.43. They have a Handling Fee for orders under $30 :smirk: , which is $6. $8.86 so far, without shipping costs. UPS ground shipping costs ($10.64) from CA to OR brought my total to $19.50 :lol:

I thought just for giggles, I'd see if the Kawi spoke nipple would work out. I ordered one, and waited for a week for it to arrive. The aluminum Kawi spoke nipple does indeed fit the stock Yamaha spoke. It's p/n 141032-1086, at a cost of $2.99. :lol: I don't know if the Kawi spoke would fit, as I didn't need or buy one. But the nipple fits nicely. I hope this info might help someone in the future.

I also wonder if these nipple are prone to breaking like mine did? :excuseme:

Jimmie

Good to know on the kawi nipple. I know for a fact that kawi front spokes are the same as yamaha front spokes, I'm not sure about the rear spokes, but I know they are close. You can also buy just nipples from pro wheel.

The way your spoke nipple broke is quite common, that is the point where the spoke thread ends inside the nipple, so the nipple doesn't have the support of the spoke inside of it, making that the weakest part of the nipple. This is one of the problems with aluminum nipples. I've found that spline drive nipples tend to break like that more often than standard square nipples. Spline drive nipples will often break at that point when you try to unlace the wheel.

• Mr. Neutron

Posted November 05, 2010 - 10:51 AM

Cool!!! :lol: More Good Info!!! :smirk:

This is all seemingly minor stuff, but it's kept me from riding my bike for almost 2 weeks waiting for parts! It's kinda disheartening to have missed some good rides due to a $3 part. (Well, in MY case, it was more like $23..... :ride: ) Anyway, thanks for the info on the front spokes & Pro-Wheels, KJ790! Good stuff to know! :lol:

FWIW, I'm going to go with TUbliss deals front & rear. Had them on my KTM 300, and loved them. I've already got the front one on. These things seem sorta "Polar"...... Some folks love them (I fall into that camp...), and others blame everything including the economy & health care reform on them......... :excuseme:

And you know, I really should probably wait until I get to talk to the folks at Buchanan's about this..... Please bear in mind that they are absolutely GREAT people to deal with, and I'll definitely buy from them again sometime, I'm betting. And maybe it's the fact that I run a lathe, and cut fairly tight threads for aircraft parts frequently that has me a little "concerned" about the stuff I just got from Buchanan's. But the thread fit on the spoke & nipple from Buchanan's was really loose. I really hope this is a unique situation from them, like a worn tap or thread dies, or whatever..... But the fit of the Kawi nipple to the Yamaha spoke was a good thread fit, maybe class 2? Anyway, it's either something to watch for, or me being very anal.....

Jimmie

• aedwards07

Posted November 05, 2010 - 08:39 PM

Also for the future if anyone needs any spokes or nipples let me know.I got like 4 or 5 bikes worth of stock yamaha spokes just sitting there that I would be glad to send anyone that needs one or 2.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.