XR250L mods

13 replies to this topic
  • ccmnova

Posted August 04, 2010 - 04:12 PM

Have a completely stock 96 XR250L and want to do some mods to increase the power and response - it seems sluggish but maybe I'm just growing out of it- What is recommended - Air filter/exhaust/carb jetting etc. ? Will I be able to get that much more power or just marginal ?

• CHIEFCULPRIT

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:47 PM

Did you get Rick Ramsey's XR250L Project write up? That should help. If you don't I can email it to you PM me your email.

• JohanChaves

Posted August 05, 2010 - 03:12 PM

Start with a UNI filters, that gives a nice gas-economy upgrade so as speed. An after-market exhaust is a must.

• JohanChaves

Posted August 05, 2010 - 03:19 PM

have you though about adding the 250R oil cooler?, thats possible, just get a 1995 XR250R oil cooler and hoses, also the right engine cover. A friend of mine did, you'll see the difference.

• ccmnova

Posted August 05, 2010 - 04:26 PM

Start with a UNI filters, that gives a nice gas-economy upgrade so as speed. An after-market exhaust is a must.

Any exhaust recommendations and where to get one. Mine is starting to get rusty anyway.

• CHIEFCULPRIT

Posted August 05, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Air filters are a personal preference - twin air / uni/ notoil / amsoil all good, i have a twin air and an Amsoil - the twin air goes over the stock cage and the Amsoil has it's own cage. A huge trick to the 250L air filter (stock) there is a metal cage, cut out the backfire screen (3 layers). Remove the snorkel from the air box. PM me if you want pics of the filter cage mod and snorkel removal. As far as exhaust try calling FMF and see if they have anything, I called Supertrapp and they said they do not support the older XRs.

• MindBlower

Posted August 06, 2010 - 05:04 PM

Lots of other exhausts will work.
But you can't expect a big difference.
It's still 250cc.

• Jonny Enduro

Posted August 12, 2010 - 05:35 AM

Any exhaust recommendations and where to get one. Mine is starting to get rusty anyway.

I run a 96 up xr250r header (larger tubes) and a FMF Q2 muffler (for the 96 up xr250r) all i had to do is cut the weld on the front muffler mount and weld it back on 1 inch forward.

• JohanChaves

Posted August 12, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Lots of other exhausts will work.
But you can't expect a big difference.
It's still 250cc.

You sure about that Mindblower??? I disagree this since your gaining a few HP over stock, is like if you are staying in one gear longer, down hills are quicker but why do you have brakes for, right? Now it sure cant be compared to a 4R.

• JohanChaves

Posted August 12, 2010 - 01:42 PM

About exhaust would be a little difficult to find since not many brands support this old ladies but you could either get a FMF or any brand that you like and performs good and fabricate its mid pipe, a cool thing to do is using CRF 250R 2006 dual mufflers, look for a guy here at this forum, he call himself Catuk from UK, he modded his XR250 and looks sick
here a pic:
Posted Image

• JohanChaves

Posted August 12, 2010 - 02:04 PM

Here is what I did, the White brothers E series for XR 400 are easily found at e-bay, so if you are skilled you could bent its midpipe so it give you a straight alignment, make a bracket so the frame hole reaches the muffler's bracket, the midpipe nut/threads could reach frame hole by pushing the midpipe deeper into the header pipe, but I guess is easier buying FMF with the sliding brackets so you dont worry to make an extension and just work on the mid pipe
Here my WB e series
Posted Image

• CHIEFCULPRIT

Posted August 12, 2010 - 03:18 PM

I get the dual exhaust but to me it's more stuff to brake. I would only believe HP gains from a dyno test. Now if it were a SM street machine only maybe but still a volkswagon dressed as a porsche. Believe me I love XRs and like many believe it is still one of the very best bikes ever made for all around use, but at a point you have to stop pouring money for little to no gain (LOTTO WINNINGS EXCLUDED).:banana:

About exhaust would be a little difficult to find since not many brands support this old ladies but you could either get a FMF or any brand that you like and performs good and fabricate its mid pipe, a cool thing to do is using CRF 250R 2006 dual mufflers, look for a guy here at this forum, he call himself Catuk from UK, he modded his XR250 and looks sick
here a pic:
Posted Image

• lanz

Posted August 15, 2010 - 05:54 PM

Remove the whole counterbalance system, really makes it responsive. Best mod I have done!

• Coopz The XR Man

Posted August 16, 2010 - 01:28 AM

does the R have the counterbalance

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Scotts stabilizer on XR400 by MarkandtheBRP

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

• * * * * -
  • Hot  57 replies
Forums
Photo

The beginning of my rebuild 96 xr250r by Madmike84

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

DIY Dual Sport guide for the XR400, Part II by n16ht5

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400R Shinko 244 Rear Question by MarxMyth

• Hot  25 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.