XR 400 Clutch Adjustments

3 replies to this topic
  • bobkiksass

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi, Ive got an xr400 Ive been tuning up. I adjusted the clutch cable so that there is just barely a bit of slack when at the end of the perch, per the instruction manual. With the clutch pulled in all the way, the bike still wants to motor forward a bit as if the clutch is still engaged a bit. The bike is also not shifting from first to neutral very easy, if at all when warm.

I tried lengthening the clutch cable a bit to get more clutch pull to get rid of the motor engaging with the clutch pulled all the way in. But this resulted in the clutch slipping slightly at high revs, so I loosened it back to as the manual ,with a slight slack at the clutch perch. It seems that my clutch doesnt get enough travel? Or is it normal that the bike wants to pull a little even with the clutch pulled in all the way?

Also, any advice on some flush mount blinkers for my xr 400? Ive got a baja designs kit and i hooked up the broken blinkers that came with it, they turn on with the switch but dont blink. So I suppose I need a resistor to make them blink and then wanted 2 flush mount blinkers for the side. Any cool led ones you guys know of?

Thanks for any advice

• GU520

Posted August 04, 2010 - 01:10 AM

Hi, Ive got an xr400 Ive been tuning up. I adjusted the clutch cable so that there is just barely a bit of slack when at the end of the perch, per the instruction manual. With the clutch pulled in all the way, the bike still wants to motor forward a bit as if the clutch is still engaged a bit. The bike is also not shifting from first to neutral very easy, if at all when warm.

I tried lengthening the clutch cable a bit to get more clutch pull to get rid of the motor engaging with the clutch pulled all the way in. But this resulted in the clutch slipping slightly at high revs, so I loosened it back to as the manual ,with a slight slack at the clutch perch. It seems that my clutch doesnt get enough travel? Or is it normal that the bike wants to pull a little even with the clutch pulled in all the way?

Also, any advice on some flush mount blinkers for my xr 400? Ive got a baja designs kit and i hooked up the broken blinkers that came with it, they turn on with the switch but dont blink. So I suppose I need a resistor to make them blink and then wanted 2 flush mount blinkers for the side. Any cool led ones you guys know of?

Thanks for any advice

I would take a look at the clutch. Check specially for warped steel plates. On the XR400 it is very easy to access the clutch, there is even a 0-ring in the clutch cover, instead of the usual gasket.

Get a manual. Measure everything as described in the manual, and assemble the clutch right, the last friction plates goes in a little different.

• Trailryder42

Posted August 04, 2010 - 07:54 AM

Everything else being adjusted, installed and otherwise in good shape, the creep you're getting can be caused from the plates having worn grooves in the clutch basket fingers. The plates set in these grooves (they've created over a long period of time) and are unable to move/separate properly when you pull in the clutch.

The fix is to lightly draw file the fingers to remove the high spots or the entire groove, depending on how deep they are. Filing too much material off the fingers to completely get rid of the grooves can be counter productive tho, as then you increase the plate tab to basket finger clearances and it is said that can cause binding of the plates.

The other fix is a new clutch basket. Try the draw filing fix first.

A few links for lighting parts:
http://www.procycle....skits/dskit.htm
http://www.wheelingc...egory&cat_id=72

• f27dog

Posted August 31, 2011 - 01:29 AM

Here is an awesome explanation I found for the inner workings of a motorcycle clutch.

http://www.motorcycl...es/viewall.html

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR400 smoking suddenly, replace plug, adjust valves or fuel mixture? by Landcrab

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR250/400
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

xr280r break-in by 93XR277R

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

My first dirt bike xr250 1997 by w00dzy

• Hot  52 replies
Forums
Photo

1986 honda xr250r rebuild! by Dirt-Mink

• Hot  52 replies
Forums
Photo

XR400 - 440 kit long term longevity by XR Pilot

• Hot  51 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.