Carbon fiber fork guards

Would anyone here be interested in a pair of Carbon fiber fork guards? I am thinking about making up a set for myself. I cracked my right stock protector last week and figured Id make up a set of carbon fiber ones. They will be exactly like the 2001 stockers, just carbon fiber. Im gonna make the molds this weekend and before I order the carbon fiber cloth, I figured Id check here to see if anybody else would be interested. The more cloth I buy, the bigger discount I get. I can post some pics when I finish mine. Let me know thumpers!

Mike

IMO, you should duplicate the stock Honda shape, so that it would be easy to run the Honda style brake hose. It might be easier to mold since the shape is round.

But, if you copy the Yamaha shape, maybe you could extend the inside like the Hondas so it will protect the tubes and guide the hose better.

I would be interested in buying a set if they turn out well. I would use the aluminum hose clamp that I designed for the Honda style hose.

I guess i would charge the same price as the stock guards plus shipping? Sound fair? If not, make an offer after I finish and post the pics of mine. I could duplicate just about anything on the bike in carbon fiber but I have to take a look at the airbox and let you know. If I can do it, it would be exactly like the stock, just carbon fiber. I'll take a look at it tonight. Oh yea, I can do frame guards and simple parts like that rather easy, I built composite aircraft for a few years, you'd be suprised how cheap and easy composite (carbon fiber) parts are to make once you have a mold made.

Mike

[This message has been edited by flyinguitars (edited 02-02-2001).]

I was toying with doing some parts also, but would rather not deal with the hassle. Do you have plans for your fabric and resin yet? I was wondering what type fabric you plan to use, carbon only or carbon / kevlar hybrid, also have you any ideas on the weave? Plain, 3,5,8 harness satin or a hybrid pattern. And are you planning to vacum bag or wet layup.

I love the bike as is, however being around titanium, carbon fibre and kevlar 40hrs a week is way to tempting not to make at least a couple parts, but then again it sounds like work.

If you go with a neat fabric let me know.

Thanks

PK

I was toying with doing some parts also, but would rather not deal with the hassle. Do you have plans for your fabric and resin yet? I was wondering what type fabric you plan to use, carbon only or carbon / kevlar hybrid, also have you any ideas on the weave? Plain, 3,5,8 harness satin or a hybrid pattern. And are you planning to vacum bag or wet layup.

I love the bike as is, however being around titanium, carbon fibre and kevlar 40hrs a week is way to tempting not to make at least a couple parts, but then again it sounds like work.

Thanks

PK

Thanks

PK

Thanks

PK

Hey if you plan on cutting everyone a deal I would be interested is some fork and frame gaurds, skid plate, waterpump gaurd, ignition cover, front and rear disk gaurds. Am I asking for too much. But hey if you say it is easy for you to do and can make a good product why shouldn't I ask if you could save me $$$. So how many different parts are you will to make?? Hey it would be cool if you could actually put down dollar amounts for our cost on what you plan to go ahead and do.. Thanks

Wow,

The pressures on now! Theses things better come out perfect. I made the molds this past weekend (for the fork guards), now Im waiting for the carbon fiber to be delivered. Molds look clean, hopefully there are no suprises lurking in them somewhere. I'll keep you guys posted.

Mike