lean or rich?

7 replies to this topic
  • mntmayfly

Posted June 17, 2003 - 04:28 PM

i have a wr450 and the bike was jetted with the baffle out of the muffler at the dealer. i drilled some holes in the baffle and put it back in thinking it would quite things down some and it did, but im not sure if im cooking this thing now or not? also i have the airbox snorkel removed now too. rich or lean? i will go back to being noisy if i have to?
thanks!

• endurodog

Posted June 17, 2003 - 06:49 PM

What jetting do you have in?

• wrkaholic

Posted June 17, 2003 - 07:02 PM

If the bike was rejetted uncorked and you corked it up, then the bike will be richer, not leaner.

• yamahasocal450

Posted June 17, 2003 - 08:10 PM

it will be too lean just take the cork out of the exhaust and put in a one size bigger main jet... thats what i did and it solved the problem but if your at a pretty high altitude i would run some tests and see if your too rich maybe :) :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mntmayfly

Posted June 18, 2003 - 05:45 AM

i have no idea what the dealer jetted the bike at, it was Vickery Motorsports and they dyno there bikes, it ran awsome without the cork, but when i put it back in with some holes i drilled in it i am just worried it is too lean and it is going to fry my motor? this jetting stuff is new to me!

• yamahasocal450

Posted June 18, 2003 - 05:54 AM

if its extremely lean and whenits idling the bike jumps up in rpms then come back down slowly later or the head pipe is glowing red then it could be something to be concerned of but for.. but ifthat doesnt make sense then take your bike down the street and accelerate really hard and if it feels and runs like crap (ie backfires) or starts stumbling then go one size bigger on the main jet (read how to take out the carb in the manual, and then take off the bottom of the carb, unscrew the main jet to see what size it is then go get one size bigger.. if that doesnt help then try one size smaller then when you put the carb back together take an air gun and amke sure there is not dirt that got in hte carb its simpler than it seems.. good luck :D :) :D

• mntmayfly

Posted June 18, 2003 - 06:17 AM

the only problem i have is from a stop to 1/4 throttle or less,it stumbles some, then its rocket time! i think its the fuel screw adjustment, which i mess with sometimes. i go up in altitude alot here too, so it will generally get richer as i go i think?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! :)

• yamahasocal450

Posted June 18, 2003 - 06:24 AM

yeahh it looks like you got it all solved out :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.