Gaskets '05-WR450 (compatability)

5 replies to this topic
  • Snapper

Posted August 03, 2010 - 02:33 PM

after being *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#&ed around by experts for several weeks i finally got a gasket set yesterday

COMETIC is supposedly a very good brand (much thicker than the MCAS head gasket which recently blew after 250km's

Base gasket - fitted but didn't have holes for the locater lugs on the bottom of the cylinder - apply hole punch - all good.

Head Gasket - look good but simply doesnt fit - if you line up the locater bolts then the it is 4mm+ out of place on the piston - if you line up the piston the locator pins are out and there is not sufficient coverage around the inside of the timing chain/outside of piston.

Packaging says the gasket kits is for an 05-08 YZ450

From what i have seen yz and piston/cylinder wr parts are largely interchangeble but that doesn't help.

Did the yz piston change in 05? The frame changed in 07 but i don't recall any motor changes?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• spockmoon

Posted August 03, 2010 - 06:31 PM

sure have plenty of time on your hands. Should be out ridding :banana:

• Snapper

Posted August 03, 2010 - 07:12 PM

no (value add) replies?

it seems that the YZ changed its barrell/head internally for the 2006 model

the WR made the same changes the following year (ie 2007 when the went alloy frame)

further some gaskets in the kits will fit 05 to 08 yz's (which wr's?) but others including the head and the base will only fit 06 onwards hence won't fit an 05 WR.

in short arseclowns sent me wrong gaskets - for second time!

once again some snapperhead trying to fix his bike ends up knowing more about it than the clown who sells parts every day!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Snapper

Posted August 03, 2010 - 07:16 PM

sure have plenty of time on your hands. Should be out ridding :banana:

yeh only worked 9 hours yesterday and didnt take laptop home so had some shed time

I like the idea of this riding stuff - will have to try it one day - might even get beyond the unko gumby level of my last few efforts :eek:

• spockmoon

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:07 PM

yeh only worked 9 hours yesterday and didnt take laptop home so had some shed time

I like the idea of this riding stuff - will have to try it one day - might even get beyond the unko gumby level of my last few efforts :banana:

Like I can really talk if you want to see an unko gumby I'll show you for a while at the eddy ride you'll feel at home. No ridding since Finke will do these things.

• Snapper

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:15 PM

not looking like i will get to Eddie - don't want to drive that far to test a bike out - especially after the issues - so assuming i get it back together i will do a loop near shack (taking kids up might win enough points for me to head up for the final S&S sat pre-ride next week)

re gumbi-ism- i hate not riding the way i know i can but i guess any riding is better than none.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.