Tell me about your 2010 YZ 450

8 replies to this topic
  • BlindSide

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:30 AM

A little background info here... I currently have an 09 CRF 450 that I love to ride but ultimately it has given me nothing but problems. As soon as I get it properly functioning again, it's gone. I'm considering the YZ 250 2-stroke or the 2010/2011 YZ 450.

What can you guys tell me about your 2010's, good or bad? I race mainly off-road events—some desert, some gp style mx & some woods. How does the bike perform in these conditions?

Also, I keep hearing something about the valve cover gasket leaking???

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 03, 2010 - 12:39 PM

I just started developing the 450 efi bike suprizingly it does not make as much torque down low as the honda every body keeps telling me how hard it comes from the corners i am suspecting the gearing is lower giving it more aceleration gearing it 1or 2 teath taller would make it more user freindly .i have made some minor mods already that improve the power considerably FMF is sending pipes this week so i will test them before getting into major engine mods i think with the minor changes any body owning a honda would like this bike .

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2010 - 12:50 PM

What's your preliminary take on the potential of the new head, Ron?

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 03, 2010 - 01:01 PM

I havent taken the head off yet im working with as much of the stock components to see where im @ i already have seen 53.4 hp with good fuel and some mods to the filter system and the renegade fuel the over rev is way up from where it was @ i have had riders complain that theres no top end the engine is dead from 10000 to 11000 rpm i have it @ nearly 50 for a 2500 rpm spead from where it peaks around 6 hp better

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ron Hamp

Posted August 03, 2010 - 01:09 PM

[attach]13950[/Attached File  08031001.PDF   67.1KB   72 downloads]

• grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2010 - 01:19 PM

Pretty impressive so far. When you have time to look the ports over, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I see huge potential in the intake, but I've only seen pictures.

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 03, 2010 - 01:37 PM

For a mx aplication there may be no advantage having a straiter port does alow for higher velocitys before chocking ocurs i may be able to kick the flow way up and use a veocity around 400 fps @ 28 " and not cause any performance loss in the top .i have seen crf 250s down drafted i had the opurtunity to flow and evaluate the head the customer told me it did not make any more hp than my cnc ported 07 head these were used on a road racer that port could have been smaler and flowed just as well may be making more power .from what i have seen the really big power numbers are coming from cam shafts with very extreme lobes theses bkes and there curent valve train wont alow for it .we have to work around what the factory gives us this bike is going to have some potential.

• CLenhart

Posted August 04, 2010 - 06:29 PM

A little background info here... I currently have an 09 CRF 450 that I love to ride but ultimately it has given me nothing but problems. As soon as I get it properly functioning again, it's gone. I'm considering the YZ 250 2-stroke or the 2010/2011 YZ 450.

What can you guys tell me about your 2010's, good or bad? I race mainly off-road events—some desert, some gp style mx & some woods. How does the bike perform in these conditions?

Also, I keep hearing something about the valve cover gasket leaking???

Getting back to your original question... I had an 06 and 08 YZ450 and rode a good mix of moto and harescrambles. Both bike were pretty good at both. The 10 however is really good for moto and not so much for woods in somewhat stock condition. First hurdle is the tank size. I guess IMS has a new oversized, but I havent tried it yet. The second hurdle is finding a map that your comdortable with. There are plenty of version out there and utlimately you will fine tune one that works for you. I found that the ones that call themselves "woods maps" lack the bottom end bark I like for making quick corrections, etc. The bikes tend to be slightly rich stock, so just make minor ignition changes and you will get there. Seat time really curse the touchy throttle syndrome. I have added a Rekluse clutch (which i love) and a DRD carbon fiber pipe (which I also love). Went to a 50 tooth rear sprocket for the woods and found that I like the 49 much better. Second gear is much more usable now and it still pulls third really well even at slow speeds (Rekluse set up and mapping make all the difference here). My bike is a three kick wonder no matter what i do. Get lucky occasionally but most times is three kick and go (that sucks for scrambles). Mx31/51 front tires are fantastic on this bike and the MX51 rear rules the world for me. Love it! The only thing I sometimes dislike is my front brake. I think i tend to like it a little more grabby and firm. Going to try the Batfly oversized kit sometime soon. All in all - my 2010 is the best bike i have owned to date. No leaks, no issues whatsoever. Suspension is slightly touchy but with minor adjustment I have total confidence and comfort with it on the track. Crack the throttle and 15ft will send you 50. Having said all that, if you ride or race anywhere in the midwest - I wouldnt buy one of these. Get a Kaw or Suz... :-) Better yet, a KTM. Lol...

• BlindSide

Posted August 05, 2010 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the informative post. :banana:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.