overheating damage

7 replies to this topic
  • rsumney

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:33 PM

last race my 06 yz450f overheated due to losing all my coolant. I got the bike started for a bit and then shut it down and pushed it out of the woods. when i put new fluid in the radiator it all leaked out where the radiator hose goes into the head. I just got a new o-ring for that fitting and am concerned that i may have done damage to the head. Anything else i should worry about or just replace the o-ring put fluid in and ride?

• mikedabike

Posted August 03, 2010 - 06:54 AM

I had a buddy do this. The entire motor was shot. You need to tear it down and look at it. When my buddy did it the piston got so hot it seized like a two stroke would. The piston was actually melted.

• ttr250dude

Posted August 03, 2010 - 06:33 PM

I had a buddy do this. The entire motor was shot. You need to tear it down and look at it. When my buddy did it the piston got so hot it seized like a two stroke would. The piston was actually melted.

i had the same thing happen on one of my snowmobiles. The rings were literally melted in the piston, you could see were the ring stopped and the piston started.

As for the rebuild, look at it this way: a top end rebuild is the perfect opportunity for a high comp piston :banana:

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted August 03, 2010 - 07:44 PM

have you done a compression test yet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 03, 2010 - 08:58 PM

have you done a compression test yet?

This is why Yamaha doesn't publish compression test numbers:

http://www.thumperta...238#post9556238

• xr650r2000

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:01 PM

the cylinder would be scored

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:48 AM

This is why Yamaha doesn't publish compression test numbers:

http://www.thumperta...238#post9556238

i am aware of this! i would think that a known good bike decompressed compression reading to compare to his would work ok. its also hard to decipher from just words without seeing first hand exactly how long/hard the bike was run after initial boil over. only the OP would know this. if in doubt though inspect and swap it out. it will be cheaper that way in the end if it does fail.. all that being said i can kick my bike over with out the auto decompression working(it hurts though) :banana:
a roll down the driveway would also work.

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2010 - 09:36 AM

A leak down test is far more useful.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.