yz or wr

3 replies to this topic
  • stevo

Posted February 01, 2001 - 06:07 PM

I am in the market for a new bike and can't decide on which one to get.I will be riding mostly trails but will venture out into the motocross track,sand dunes, and go down to baja.I am wondering if the yz will be fast enough to keep up with the other wr's,xr's,and drz.Will the wider ratio trans on the wr be better could you just gear the yz to go faster.

• FOX426

Posted February 01, 2001 - 06:34 PM

Stevo, the YZ is faster than any of the bikes you mentioned. You need the WR.

------------------
The world loves talent but, pays off on character.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyinguitars

Posted February 02, 2001 - 07:05 AM

Stevo,
The Yz426 kills just about everything else out there except maybe a kx or cr500, but those things are outdated and not as controllable as the yz. I have a 01 426 and I ride with a guy that has a WR400. They are both mean, powerful bikes. If you buy either a yz or wr, and can ride reasonably good, you will waste everyone else on a DR and XR.
Mike

• mcarp

Posted February 03, 2001 - 08:47 PM

The WR may be a better bet. They are a little more expensive to make worthy (tank/seat/pipe), but the off-road gearing is worth it, at least to me. First gear on the YZ seems dificult to put up with when the going gets tight.

I ride mostly tight wood trails, some MX (not the big jumps, but definately the tabletops and smaller jumps), some high speed grass areas, and everything in between. A friends' YZ seems harder to ride, easier to stall, and very stiff in the woods compared to the WR (YZ timing, pipe, mods). The YZ is quicker no doubt about it (26 more cc, less weight), but it's just not as user-friendly as the WR.

I will say the YZ makes a better MX bike-more boost, less weight, stiffer suspension. But that's not what I ride primarily, so overall the WR fits me better.

Either one will do, but if you're primarily woods riding, the WR is probably a better fit. Just be prepared to spend $500-600 on a tank/seat/pipe. Less if used YZ parts, which I would recommend aside from seat foam/cover -damn that stock stuff is a rock!

Keep in mind too, the WR's first gear is lower so you can creep around, yet the 5th gear is taller thus the top speed is noticeably faster (8mph as measured by the Topeak panoram computer on both models, same final gearing 14/52). That suites me better than the YZ gearing for my riding. Then there's the kickstand and lights which are nice bonuses.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.