Was pleased with the woods map!

22 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:46 AM

Last week I put about 250 miles on some trails and hill climbs. There wasn't a lot of tight technical stuff but this map really tammed the bottom end and made the bike all but stall proof. I was able to run a gear higher and lug the bike around. This really helped with the muddy slippery stuff and I still had enough power on hand to wheelie over puddles, roots, and rocks with occasional clutch use. The only problem I had was on a few higher speed turns when the mid range power kicked in it lit the rear tire up and spun pretty bad but with some throttle control this was no big deal.

"Woods Map" originally posted by Directmotocross.com
http://www.directmot....ss-2010-yz450f

Year Model: 2010 YZ450
Posting or Edit Revision Date: 1/7/10
Pipe/muffler: Stock
Significant Mods (cams, etc.):None
Altitude Range: 2000ft
Temp Range: 60-90
Humidity Range: high
Type of Use (Track, Trail, Desert, etc.) Woods racing: trail/hill climbs

Fuel Injection (FI)
+4 +4 -3
+4 +4 -4
-3 -4 -4
Ignition (IG)
-3 -3 -3
-3 -3 -0
-3 -3 -3

• Beatcoaster

Posted August 02, 2010 - 02:37 PM

Good to hear. I ran the "less hit" map this Sunday with a 51t out back and it was still stalling in 1st of the slow/tight stuff. I am still having to slip the clutch way to much to keep it from dying yet still go over the roots and rocks my friends are doing with their bikes. Time to try that map now!!

• tech24

Posted August 03, 2010 - 03:46 AM

Let me know how it works in the tight n nasty haven't had a chance to really try it out other than a few small spots.

• Beatcoaster

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:44 AM

Well it helped out alot yesterday! We were doing some straight Erzberg/Romaniacs style trails today up at Walker Valley here, and it had just rained so everything was slippery and slimy. The trails we rode this time were extremely tight, lots clutching, lots of rocks faces/roots/ruts/switchbacks, etc. I still stalled it multiple times, with one almost tossing me over the handbars. It's not fun when the bike is still rolling but it stalls, locks up the rear tire, and causes me to go lurching forward - ugh. The 51t coupled with the woods map was night and day compared to just the 51t and the less hit map(last weeks ride), and I think with a 53t or so it would be perfect even for the tight stuff. The biggest issue I have is the entire starting procedure, it was really draining and difficult at times yesterday. It is not fun stalling on some massive rootwads at a 45 degree angle, having to hold 250 pounds upright, find neutral, pull in the clutch, pull out the hot start, kick it 3 times while not falling or sliding down the hill, push in the hot start, hit first and try to muster up the energy and momentum to get the rest of the way up the mountain, over and over again.....

The starting procedure is the thorn in the side of this bike in my opinion, it is the biggest thing I hate about it, related to the stalling issue. At one point my buddy was right behind me as went around this corner, both at the same speed, and I lurched to a halt, and he says "w-t-f-?! that just stalled it??" - yep...then I spend the next 30 seconds getting it running again, and try playing catchup when exhausted - not fun.

Does the woods map/slippery map help a lot - yes. Does the bike need to be geared even more for tight trails - yes. Does the bike need a 6th gear for the fire roads/interconnects between trails - yes. :banana:

• grunkthump

Posted August 09, 2010 - 07:53 AM

nice report Beat...I would belly up for the revloc dyna ring if I had that bike and were using it in those conditions...I was actually pondering a 10' since there are GREAT deals on em' right now...alas I think I will just shell out some more coin for the 350 (WITH button!!)...:-)

• tech24

Posted August 09, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the report! And I agree starting these things should be far less difficult. I have a feeling this will change with new models....I hope. Mabye some ecms with different starting maps and hopfully will be plug 'n' play for the 2010.

• Beatcoaster

Posted August 09, 2010 - 01:11 PM

Yes, that'd be super nice!!

• moto278

Posted August 09, 2010 - 06:40 PM

ive heard alot of guys sayin their 10's are hard to start even now. but mine is just as easy to start first kick usually as any other bike ive had (only a few as im only 22 haha) but mayb its just me? ive only got 35 hours on it

• carver

Posted August 09, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Well it helped out alot yesterday! We were doing some straight Erzberg/Romaniacs style trails today up at Walker Valley here, and it had just rained so everything was slippery and slimy. The trails we rode this time were extremely tight, lots clutching, lots of rocks faces/roots/ruts/switchbacks, etc. I still stalled it multiple times, with one almost tossing me over the handbars. It's not fun when the bike is still rolling but it stalls, locks up the rear tire, and causes me to go lurching forward - ugh. The 51t coupled with the woods map was night and day compared to just the 51t and the less hit map(last weeks ride), and I think with a 53t or so it would be perfect even for the tight stuff. The biggest issue I have is the entire starting procedure, it was really draining and difficult at times yesterday. It is not fun stalling on some massive rootwads at a 45 degree angle, having to hold 250 pounds upright, find neutral, pull in the clutch, pull out the hot start, kick it 3 times while not falling or sliding down the hill, push in the hot start, hit first and try to muster up the energy and momentum to get the rest of the way up the mountain, over and over again.....

The starting procedure is the thorn in the side of this bike in my opinion, it is the biggest thing I hate about it, related to the stalling issue. At one point my buddy was right behind me as went around this corner, both at the same speed, and I lurched to a halt, and he says "w-t-f-?! that just stalled it??" - yep...then I spend the next 30 seconds getting it running again, and try playing catchup when exhausted - not fun.

Does the woods map/slippery map help a lot - yes. Does the bike need to be geared even more for tight trails - yes. Does the bike need a 6th gear for the fire roads/interconnects between trails - yes. :banana:

Sounds like time for an IMS tank, flywheel and WR gears, and maybe revloc/rekluse.
A quick Yam parts fiche number check shows the WR gears should work.
After using the hydra clutch on the 530, I'd do the Magura hydra if keeping the lever.

• whiskey wheelie

Posted August 09, 2010 - 10:11 PM

I've been running that woods map too in the tighter single track... works really well... I did notice it does take a kick or two more with the settings the way they are and i do burn through fuel quicker with the retarted timing and rich off the bottom. I think it chugs really well and at worst just a little clutch work and its good. i like the stock gearing but i havent gotten into any goat trails yet... for the trails around n. ca. it works pretty darn good. Only issue im told is that there will be some carbon build up over time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tunefx

Posted August 12, 2010 - 04:24 PM

I run the woods map and 51T. I will be tuning it a bit more closer to stock from this map. Just want a bit more hit but not the stock hit.

I run a Rekluse EXP. No starting problems if I find the right spot for the kickstarter. Almost always starts on first kick. Note, I can even start it in gear with the Rekluse!!! No kidding! I do this all the time--unless I need to take a longer rest! :banana:

• whiskey wheelie

Posted August 12, 2010 - 11:03 PM

you couldnt start it in gear without it? Mine starts in gear... has a little issue now and then wiht the woods map but no issues stock. I may have to run a little in between on the dead starts this year.

• tech24

Posted August 13, 2010 - 04:47 AM

I can't hardly ever start mine in gear or without pulling the cold start knob. BTW maps changed with the tuner do not change starting fuel delivery. Perhaps a laptop program would.

• Beatcoaster

Posted August 13, 2010 - 06:16 AM

I can't hardly ever start mine in gear or without pulling the cold start knob. BTW maps changed with the tuner do not change starting fuel delivery. Perhaps a laptop program would.

Ditto - Mine will start on the 2nd or 3rd kick everytime, but it is nearly impossible to do without finding neutral and pulling the 'cold/hot start' out...

• whiskey wheelie

Posted August 18, 2010 - 10:34 PM

Ditto - Mine will start on the 2nd or 3rd kick everytime, but it is nearly impossible to do without finding neutral and pulling the 'cold/hot start' out...

Boy.. dont know what to tell you guys. I have it down that i can start it usually on first kick in gear and if not second... I told my buddy i ride with about people saying this and he proved me wrong when i bought it before i even got to try it... now i practice it every time im trail riding so i have it down for dead starts. Def. no issues though.

Also, I'm almost 100% sure, the head yamaha tech for n. ca. dealers told me it wont start as easy, bad gas mileage and also will cause carbon build up with the map im running... ill ask him tomorrow.

• tech24

Posted August 19, 2010 - 03:47 AM

Boy.. dont know what to tell you guys. I have it down that i can start it usually on first kick in gear and if not second... I told my buddy i ride with about people saying this and he proved me wrong when i bought it before i even got to try it... now i practice it every time im trail riding so i have it down for dead starts. Def. no issues though.

Also, I'm almost 100% sure, the head yamaha tech for n. ca. dealers told me it wont start as easy, bad gas mileage and also will cause carbon build up with the map im running... ill ask him tomorrow.

I don't seen how when you can't change the starting a/f mixture with the tuner. Nothing you do with a tuner should ever effect starting. I wish it could I would lean out the start mixture.

• Beatcoaster

Posted August 19, 2010 - 09:43 AM

I went riding again last night. It was dusty and dry but still technical trails and the woods map helped again per usual. I still stalled it on a few spots, while rolling, which is a total bummer, but I have been playing with my starting technique and don't need to find neutral anymore! While in gear, find the compression stroke and crack the throttle a little at the same time you are kicking. Mine will fire on the 1st or 2nd kick in gear this way...that made the after work ride a lot better, and less tiring than previous times!:bonk:

• tech24

Posted August 19, 2010 - 11:01 AM

I went riding again last night. It was dusty and dry but still technical trails and the woods map helped again per usual. I still stalled it on a few spots, while rolling, which is a total bummer, but I have been playing with my starting technique and don't need to find neutral anymore! While in gear, find the compression stroke and crack the throttle a little at the same time you are kicking. Mine will fire on the 1st or 2nd kick in gear this way...that made the after work ride a lot better, and less tiring than previous times!:bonk:

Yeah that does work for me too. Cracking the throttle is pretty much doing the same thing as pulling out the idle knob...adding more air. As long as you don't over do it and add a lot more fuel too.

Sounds like you had a good ride this time! :foul:

• tech24

Posted August 23, 2010 - 11:06 AM

I finally got a chance to really test this map. I rode some really tight woods with lots of logs (some hidden....ouch), tall grass, and roots, you name it. I really like how the ride went I only stalled 3 times and 2 were really my fault. My index finger is sore from slammin the clutch lever into it so much though. But over all I don't think this bike will do any better without an auto clutch or heavyier flywheel. Also i'm running stock gearing, I'm afraid to go 51 and add to the wheel spin in slippery stuff.

• Beatcoaster

Posted August 23, 2010 - 01:37 PM

I didn't notice anymore wheel spin with the 51 from the 48, since I've always had to give it some gas, slip the clutch, and launch it a certain way to keep it from stalling. What it does give you, once the idle is setup a little higher, is the ability to keep the hands on both grips more often in the tough, tight stuff; letting you concentrate on your line instead of focussing on having to play with the clutch and keep the bike from crapping out on you. With a 51t the bike really needs a 6th gear for the fast forest roads and such, but for the woods it was as good a step as changing the fuel map! :bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.