Gearbox output shaft (countershaft) seal

3 replies to this topic
  • GuyGraham

Posted August 02, 2010 - 04:16 AM

So, my WR450F 2008 blew its gearbox output seal and dumped the oil on the chain & the side of the engine

There was only 175ml of oil left in it when I drained it :banana:
Have looked at the cam journals and they are fine so hoping no damage done

Went down to the local Yamaha dealer and they want an unbelievable £19 for an oil seal :eek: (this is on top of £14 for a genuine Yam oil filter), and £18 for the spacer!!!!

Where do Yamaha UK get these prices from?

I can buy an off the shelf double lipped oil seal with garter spring from a bearing factor for £1.85

• William1

Posted August 02, 2010 - 05:19 AM

Sadly, most prices are made up fairly arbitrarialy. In fact, identical parts are often a different price for different models.
From time to time, you get a part that is super cheap (Yamaha used to sell Ti clutch pushrods for $1.49US, the stock steel ones were $15.00).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted August 02, 2010 - 11:23 AM

there's a feature in the bike mag I buy about Yamaha's R1, and what it would cost to build it from spares

Brand new out the showroom here in the UK, they are £12K, or at least that was the official price at the start of the year - dunno how many they've sold at this price seeing as they were only £10Klast year for the same bike!

To build it out of spares is reported to cost £60K - fairly astonishing really

• panaman

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:49 AM

there's a feature in the bike mag I buy about Yamaha's R1, and what it would cost to build it from spares

Brand new out the showroom here in the UK, they are £12K, or at least that was the official price at the start of the year - dunno how many they've sold at this price seeing as they were only £10Klast year for the same bike!

To build it out of spares is reported to cost £60K - fairly astonishing really

goes to show you that they make more on parts than the machines themselves

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.