kyb and showa

7 replies to this topic
  • delmas

Posted August 02, 2010 - 04:15 AM

Are pressure springs changed the same way on KYB as Showa.

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:29 AM

If you mean the inner chamber springs (ICS) over the inner cartridge free piston, not exactly, but it's similar, and quite simple. The entire base valve stem can be unscrewed from the free piston shaft with the valve itself intact. Then the piston just slides off.

• delmas

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:27 AM

Yes ,
I am clear on that part.But I do not see a lock nut on the stem like on the showa.

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2010 - 09:08 AM

There's no jam nut. The upper and lower segments simply screw together. Use the compression valve removal tool clamped in a vise to hold the upper section while you unscrew the lower section from it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • delmas

Posted August 02, 2010 - 11:55 AM

There's no jam nut. The upper and lower segments simply screw together. Use the compression valve removal tool clamped in a vise to hold the upper section while you unscrew the lower section from it.

thanks very much.Does KYB use any of that thread locker that I see in the Showa suspension and should some type of that product be used when putting it back together.One more question .With no jam nut ,does the upper and lower section have any adjustment to get the clickers in the correct position .

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2010 - 12:39 PM

No adjustment, just run it together tight. I don't use a thread locker, but if I decided I wanted to, it would be BLUE Loc-Tite.

• delmas

Posted August 02, 2010 - 01:32 PM

No adjustment, just run it together tight. I don't use a thread locker, but if I decided I wanted to, it would be BLUE Loc-Tite.

Thank you , great info and I appreciate it very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a ton of experience with showa but this is my first time with kyb

thanks again

Edited by delmas, August 02, 2010 - 01:33 PM.
sp

• delmas

Posted August 10, 2010 - 05:17 PM

the manual states there should be 20 clicks on fork compression.
mine has 18 .that is why I wondered about a jam nut and any adjustments.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.