yzf 426? Need info.

7 replies to this topic
  • brasso

Posted August 01, 2010 - 02:14 PM

Im about to trade my 85 for a 01 yzf 426, with a thumper 450 big bore kit.

I need to know.. What are the goods and bads on these bikes.. Also does the 450 kit include the 450 cam? If so thats going to be the first thing done to this bike.. What are must have mods, what is some things I should check for, and look out for? need info!

• brasso

Posted August 03, 2010 - 05:26 AM

Can somone not help me out a little bit? I know somone has some info they could share would it kill somone?

• StoneRacer

Posted August 03, 2010 - 01:45 PM

2mm over piston + stock stroke = 444 . You sure you have a 450 big bore kit?
+ You have one more gear.
- I ride mine in the sand so it does just fine. If i were riding the track i would get a newer one . As for the cam having a big bore don't mean it has a 450 cam.

• brasso

Posted August 03, 2010 - 02:08 PM

Well that's what the guy told me.. I'll post the link to it up... He doesent seem to know much about the bike..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brasso

Posted August 03, 2010 - 02:11 PM

http://easttexas.cra...1853792324.html

• cowboyona426

Posted August 03, 2010 - 02:40 PM

The big bore kit most likely doesn't include the new cam. 426 is a nice reliable bike if it has been properly maintained. Even when not given proper care they can be reliable. If you are that interested go over it with a fine tooth comb- check for obvious stuff like worn out bearings, loose spokes, cracks in things that shouldn't have them, missing or stripped out bolts, etc.

• myoung

Posted August 03, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thumper racing calls their kit a 450 kit. It could be they're getting a custom piston made, which means you always have to go to them for a new one. Most other big bore kits are 444 and all the aftermarket piston companies offer a replacement for that size.

I'd call Thumper racing and ask if they're just 'rounding up' on their size and it's actually a 444 like all the others.

Other than that issue on this particular bike, in general, the early 400's and the 426's have proven to be two of the most reliable bikes of the new generation 4 strokes. My '00 426 has been the best bike I have ever owned in 34 years of riding. :banana:

• brasso

Posted August 04, 2010 - 04:21 PM

Well good thanx guys.. Ill hopefully have it by friday.. Ill post pics.. Anything else I should look for in it, listen for, etc when I go to get it?

Can yall post some pics of yalls btw.. I want to see everyones different setups..I plan on taking the cross country tank off and putting a regular one on and putting different graphics, and bars, and exhaust (any ideas?)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.