wr 426

8 replies to this topic
  • thejefferson1

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:08 AM

. Runs good starts 1st or 2nd kick every time but.... seems to be lacking in power a bit for what i expected. I was wondering a few things maybe carb issues. I ride mostly in northern michigan so where should i have the mixture screw i think its at 2.5 out right now . Also i heard you can change something from the yzf 426 to the wr to make it come to life Maybe the throttle stop ?. I also see some of the guys talking about the grey wire and the tps ... anything would help thanks

• William1

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:13 AM

Fuel screw and pilot jet are for idle only. Set them accordingly and leave them alone.

Low on power could be a lot of stuff. Could be no free mods were done. Could be the throttle stop. Could be the engine is tired.

• thejefferson1

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:23 AM

i mean she gets up and moves good but expected a little more out of the bike im comparing it to my buddies kaw 450 . I think there is a little more there what up with the grey wire?

• kx250fnick

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:27 AM

Did you check your throttle cables,compression?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted August 01, 2010 - 10:49 AM

Grey wire disconeected utilizes a different ignition map, making the bike a little crisper.

What year is your WR and your pals Kaw? How many hours since the engines were freshened?

• thejefferson1

Posted August 01, 2010 - 05:06 PM

02 wr 426 and 05 kaw 450 the kaw was new and mine i have no idea i just bought it used
where might this grey wire be also i found this post looking around this stuff sound good

Remove the coil, that will make it somewhat easier to get too.

My suggestion is to get familiar with the FCR carb! Don't be affraid to loosen the carb from the boots and jimmy it out of there a little (remove the coil, but the carb will still tilt out from the LEFT side of the bike.) That will make it a WHOLE lot easier, plus you can see how far the slide opens up and see how much you need to trim from the stop to get FULL throttle operation. And, you can see how much fuel that thing squirts, via the accelerator pump, when you twist the throttle. This will answer a bunch of questions you'll have next regarding the "BK" mod that you'll enevitably read about and do.

There is a butt-load of power available in a few cheap little mods: Gray wire, throttle stop, change needles (I run ELN), BK mod, YZ timing. There isn't $20 in ALL of these and it will garner you a, conservative, 40% increase in power over the stock, plugged up WR!

All that said, the BEST thing you can ever do to a WR is get a YZ seat/tank combo. If you wish to turn sharp, at all, ever, you need to get more forward on the bike. Keep an eye on ebay and www.thumpertalk.com for used tanks. I have a '98 tank on my '01 WR that I got for $50 and an SDG seat new for $80.

what is a bk mod ?

• byggd

Posted August 05, 2010 - 02:21 PM

. Runs good starts 1st or 2nd kick every time but.... seems to be lacking in power a bit for what i expected. I was wondering a few things maybe carb issues. I ride mostly in northern michigan so where should i have the mixture screw i think its at 2.5 out right now . Also i heard you can change something from the yzf 426 to the wr to make it come to life Maybe the throttle stop ?. I also see some of the guys talking about the grey wire and the tps ... anything would help thanks

Did you check in this area? Lots of tricks! :banana:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440372

• co-rydr

Posted August 06, 2010 - 01:13 AM

If you don't have one already, get the service manual or at least the Clymers service manual. These will help greatly to learn about your new bike.

• Pooley

Posted August 07, 2010 - 04:23 PM

Don't bother with the BK mod, do the O-ring mod. Also, check out the FAQ for all of the free mods like throttle stop, grey wire, air box lid, O-ring etc.

What kind of pipe and insert do you have. If it is a stock insert, pull it out and buy something, ANYTHING else. The stocker is soooooo small it restricts power hugely. I also live and ride in Michigan, check out my past posts regarding jetting and mods done for information.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.