Neutral Switch???

3 replies to this topic
  • PMK

Posted February 01, 2001 - 02:42 AM

Curious as to the exact purpose of this baby. Am I correct to think that this will lower the rev limit for a missed 1 to 2 shift or prevent over reving while in neutral. I looked in the manual and it grounds one circuit while in neutral but is an open circuit while in gear. The manual does not explain the reason it's installed. This is on a 2001 YZ426.
Thanks
PK

• Hick

Posted February 01, 2001 - 06:52 AM

I’m pretty sure that this sensor, on US models, changes the timing depending on what gear you are in (I remember reading this in a few magazine test articles). On my ’00 it has a contact point with the gear selector for all 5 gears and neutral.

On older US bikes this sensor didn’t do anything. I think on ’98 & ’99 European models this sensor limited rpm while in neutral so the bike could pass the FIM noise standard.

I would be surprised if the manual is accurate in this case, or maybe I wouldn’t. This sensor on pre-2000 models had contacts for all gears yet effectively did nothing. Maybe they still haven’t gotten around to plugging the thing in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted February 01, 2001 - 08:14 AM

That's what I initially thought, or hoped, but I think it is like an appendix, with no useful purpose. I have always cut the harness off, with no apparent ill effect. Terrycable still sells an aluminum plug to replace it.

Originally posted by Hick:
I’m pretty sure that this sensor, on US models, changes the timing depending on what gear you are in (I remember reading this in a few magazine test articles).

• jaybird67k

Posted February 01, 2001 - 04:40 PM

The nuetral switch is to prevent over reving in nuetral. When in nuetral the timing is change to almost perfect TDC at idle.
In nuetral the rev limiter is set to around 8000 rpm's.
I must say that the timing does advance in nuetral once you stab it but not to the same degree as it does in gear. I would say nuetral is not the gear to be tuning your bike in because of this.
Jason

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.