Chain eating swingarm

9 replies to this topic
  • silentZ

Posted July 31, 2010 - 01:27 PM

Can you guys tell me how bad this is and what I should do moving forward?

I am already purchasing new chain guides, chain and sprockets.

Thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• BBrown626

Posted July 31, 2010 - 01:35 PM

Get a new swingarm or find a good used one on e-bay.
It wasn't your chain that did most of the damage. The chain slider is was rubbed most of the metal away. I put a bunch of rtv under mine os the dirt cant get in there. I think the dirt gets under there then all the motion of the slider grinds the dirt against the aluminum, sanding it away.
Going forward, remember your front slider and rear slider are wear parts. They probably wear faster than your chain and need to be replaced regularly.

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2010 - 04:37 PM

If you can't find a replacement on eBay, have yours reconstructed by having the worn through section cut out and a piece welded back in.

Silicon sealer works OK as a preventative, but IMO, this works better:

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm

• rdrata

Posted August 02, 2010 - 07:03 PM

Wow, there's an example of a swingarm that paid the price for this wear issue. I have added that mod that Gray pointed out to all of my YZ's

• cbrewer450

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:14 PM

I did that plate on my 03 as well. I noticed a bit of wear, and now nothing moves there. Great, inexpensive mod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • silentZ

Posted August 03, 2010 - 08:37 AM

I dropped the arm off with a local welder this morning. He knew that it was for a Yamaha just by looking at it, so that seems like a good thing.

I will post up some photos when the work is complete. I may get to ride this weekend!

I am also going to add the mod. Thanks for the info on this!

• Family Man

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Same thing has happend to my bike, 07 yz450f. How much does this afect the structural integrity of the swingarm?

• silentZ

Posted August 04, 2010 - 06:37 AM

After the weld job:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Family Man

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:04 AM

In reveiwing the photos that is pretty bad damage, worse than mine. how does the weld job look in person, it looks rough in the photos.

• silentZ

Posted August 04, 2010 - 08:45 AM

It is pretty smooth actually. The guy made it a little thicker at the biggest wear area. The area is also sanded down the length of the chain guide. The photos are not very good because of my phone and the dim lighting in the garage.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.