CRF vs. YZ

11 replies to this topic
  • oregonroad

Posted July 31, 2010 - 11:59 AM

I'm in the market for a 450 dirt bike. I'm really liking the WR450, but these are hard to find and am seriously looking at the CRF and YZ. I've been looking at these forums and I'm getting the impression the CRF's have a lot more valve issues than the Yamaha's. Is this true? or am I'm looking at this wrong.

And yes I know the WR is a trail bike which is what I want (mostly trail riding) but finding a CRFX is nearly impossible and I'm willing to sprocket a CRF or YZ to make them work.

• crf450319

Posted August 01, 2010 - 09:56 AM

I've had 8 MX bikes and 7 of them have been Honda's, the '09 Yamaha that I'm riding now I bought new this Spring. There were a couple reasons I switched from Honda to Yamaha, keep in mind that these are my personal reasons and not meant to be a guide for others.

The intake valves went on my '05 CRF450R after I had put 70 hours on it, I didn't have any trouble with my '02 CRF450R's valves which is a bit of a mystery to me as I didn't change how I performed maint. or my maint. schedule. I've had at least 3 friends with Honda's (from Pro's to novice's) that have had the exact issue. Just search "valve" in the CRF450R forum and see what you get. I didn't want to buy a new bike, put 60 or 70 hours on it and then have to spend $$ on an aftermarket kit.

From what I've read, the suspension on the '09 CRF450R isn't that great out of the box - whereas the Yamaha is very good.

Flame out issues with the new FI on the '09 CRF450R.

4 spring clutch in the Honda, that one I just don't understand. Why create an issue where there wasn't one before ? Yeah, less rotational mass in a 4 spring and en easier pull @ the lever but I would much rather have a clutch that will take some abuse.

So, those issues were enough for me to switch to a Yamaha and so far I'm really happy with my '09 YZ450F. That doesn't mean that the Yamaha isn't without it's flaws - horrible stock exhaust, but in my opinion they're easier fixes than the Honda would have required.

That's my $0.02, good luck

• myoung

Posted August 01, 2010 - 01:05 PM

CRF vs. YZ

One word, reliability! :banana:

• oregonroad

Posted August 02, 2010 - 06:50 AM

I've had 8 MX bikes and 7 of them have been Honda's, the '09 Yamaha that I'm riding now I bought new this Spring. There were a couple reasons I switched from Honda to Yamaha, keep in mind that these are my personal reasons and not meant to be a guide for others.

The intake valves went on my '05 CRF450R after I had put 70 hours on it, I didn't have any trouble with my '02 CRF450R's valves which is a bit of a mystery to me as I didn't change how I performed maint. or my maint. schedule. I've had at least 3 friends with Honda's (from Pro's to novice's) that have had the exact issue. Just search "valve" in the CRF450R forum and see what you get. I didn't want to buy a new bike, put 60 or 70 hours on it and then have to spend $$ on an aftermarket kit.

From what I've read, the suspension on the '09 CRF450R isn't that great out of the box - whereas the Yamaha is very good.

Flame out issues with the new FI on the '09 CRF450R.

4 spring clutch in the Honda, that one I just don't understand. Why create an issue where there wasn't one before ? Yeah, less rotational mass in a 4 spring and en easier pull @ the lever but I would much rather have a clutch that will take some abuse.

So, those issues were enough for me to switch to a Yamaha and so far I'm really happy with my '09 YZ450F. That doesn't mean that the Yamaha isn't without it's flaws - horrible stock exhaust, but in my opinion they're easier fixes than the Honda would have required.

That's my $0.02, good luck

Great write-up. this is the info I'm looking for. thanks and keep it coming

• Beatcoaster

Posted August 02, 2010 - 02:33 PM

I love my Yamaha, and am already running into issues with my wife's brand new Honda...granted these bikes are two different beasts but they were bought at the same time and mine has been ridden way harder. 15 hours of use and the Honda won't shift into 1st anymore - what a joke and just super for my beginner wife...I swear from all the people I know, if it isn't the valves it seems to be something else, and I should have listened better - shame on me for thinking the CRF230F would be a different ball of wax...

I have a 51t on the back of my YZ and it is still geared too high for trails riding. I would keep the search on for a WR if that is your main focus of riding as my bikes stalls quite a bit on the slow/technical stuff...

• cowboyona426

Posted August 02, 2010 - 03:35 PM

Don't get a WR just because the YZ needs re-geared... the WR carries too much of a weight penalty IMO and with the right mods a YZ can do anything a WR can.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kain522

Posted August 02, 2010 - 08:28 PM

I don't know much about the Hondas, but I have owned my 04 YZ for 3 years now, and the valves are still in spec. This bike has been bomb proof so far.

• baca

Posted August 03, 2010 - 09:19 PM

I have also recently purchased a YZ450F 2004 model, for trail/woods riding. I was sceptical and i really wanted an WR450 but couldn't pass up on the YZ. I went for it and i love it, It does get hot in the woods, (first gear /w cluch grind) It does stall on me here and there and is sometimes hard to restart. I am so happy with the performance, suspension, weight and overall funfactor. It still scares the shit out of me once in a while. I love it.

previous bike XR600R

• YamaLink

Posted August 04, 2010 - 06:47 AM

Adding to the good input, I owned 3 2002 CRF450R over the course of a few years, and not one had a valve issue. Granted, I changed the oil frequently, never rode the rev limiter and didn't let it bog down/overheat. That's pretty basic maintenance. Then my 04 and 05 had zero issues.

Having said that a few friends have valves go bad in the first week of riding with their CRF models, both R and X.

• kain522

Posted August 04, 2010 - 10:31 AM

I have also recently purchased a YZ450F 2004 model, for trail/woods riding. I was sceptical and i really wanted an WR450 but couldn't pass up on the YZ. I went for it and i love it, It does get hot in the woods, (first gear /w cluch grind) It does stall on me here and there and is sometimes hard to restart. I am so happy with the performance, suspension, weight and overall funfactor. It still scares the shit out of me once in a while. I love it.

previous bike XR600R

I had the same issues with mine. Switching to Engine Ice coolant helped with the heat, and a flywheel weight makes a world of difference. Sorry to jack the thread:busted:

• jmik517

Posted August 05, 2010 - 02:19 PM

I have a 07 yz450 I use for ice racing and dirttrack racing. I've been totaly impressed with the performance. I keep up on the regular maitanence, oil, air filter and the little things, but as far as the valves, I've never checked them. This thing gets rode hard at high rpms and keeps on going. I have a couple friends I race with that have 03 hondas and both have had the engines apart to service the valves. One of them caught them just before things really went bad. I've made the joke to them, " ride red ..... work on your head!"

• ttr250dude

Posted August 05, 2010 - 03:00 PM

i bought a yz450f this year with ~90 hours on it. I rode one hare scramble and it was unbareable. I threw on the gytr heavy flywheel and 51 rear sprocket. I raced another hare scramble after that which was much much more technical, excessive stalling and over heating forced me out of the race. Granted, my fuel screw wasnt spot on which contributed to the stalling.

From my experience its not any good at very tight very technical single track, but its great at everything else.

BUT... on trails wide enough for an atv this thing is amazing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.