XR650L susp. set up for 2up riding

9 replies to this topic
  • Rover31

Posted June 17, 2003 - 04:18 AM

Hello all this is my first post to you XRL guys.
Here's my ? My son will be riding on the back of the XR650L this weekend (Dirtyface DS) our total weight should be around 275lbs maybe a little less.
I would love to have some hints on setting up the susp for a better & esp a comfortable ride for him
Thanks
Travis

• flyinW

Posted June 17, 2003 - 08:34 AM

I run 2-up alot and really depends if it's off-road or on as to where you set the suspension... I've found that the springs should be set stiff and increase the dampening as well... done this to both front and rear... seems to be best all-round... play with it and see where you like it... with me & my son we weigh in around 350# or so... with him off the bike... my suspension is purdy stiff.

just my $.02

• Rover31

Posted June 17, 2003 - 01:17 PM

It will be offroad only 10-20 miles of pavement.
Thanks
Travis

• hotwheels

Posted September 23, 2003 - 01:21 PM

Depending on the leg length of your passenger,you might want to swap the footpegs and brackets side for side(left to right side, right to left side) this positions the footpeg at a much more comfortable position. Then you must invert the peg in the bracket, just remove the cotterpin, pivotpin, invert the peg and reassemble. The peg should now fold down and lock as normal. I also replace the tool kit with a foam pad so my riding partner (5'11' with loooong legs :)!) can sit farther to the rear and allow me a comfortable riding position also. Happy two up trails.

• jstevens

Posted September 26, 2003 - 07:39 PM

I don't think you really need to touch anything. Are you sure you need to adjust the suspension or do you just want too? My guess is you won't notice a big difference, other then what's already set at the factory.
:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rover31

Posted September 26, 2003 - 09:37 PM

I did change the preload and it did seem to be better.
Since this was a once in a while thing I set it back to what I like for sag, which is a fair bit different than stock it is way better!
So for all of you riders who don't do susp stuff just take the time to set your sag and you will be surprised. Many dual sport riders ( and many street riders) I have seen in the past just do exhaust, carb, tire and putting on a big tank.Thanks
Travis

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted September 27, 2003 - 08:45 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love riding double and do it a lot.
My XR650L is great for it as long
as you stay out of the extreme stuff.
Our total weight is about 340 lbs. with gear.
If we're gonna go fast I would do the suspension
better but we use the bike in the picture to race
Hare Scrambles etc. I see no problems with your
weight and close to stock settings. Are you going
race pace or just trail cruizing? I did move the rear
pegs down for comfort. I used the bottom frame mounting hole for the top peg hole and fabricated a bracket to bolt the bottom on the shifter side. The brake side I used the hole on the frame bracket for the brake with some spacers.
Have fun!!

• jstevens

Posted September 28, 2003 - 04:20 AM

Torture,

Nice Bike, I had to do a double take that you didn't have a 650"R". I said to myslef "Does this guy know we are talking about "L's" here, as it looks like he's added a dual-sport kit to his "R"! Anyways nice pics, looks like you did a fine job on your bike.
:)

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted September 28, 2003 - 08:53 AM

We're going to dual-sport the XR650L toady in about 2 hrs.
Riding double is a blast and it's a great way to train. Riding double on the XR650L is the ultimate training! :) Here's more pics below for ya...
click here for a bunch of Hawaii trail pics... :D

• Rover31

Posted September 28, 2003 - 11:28 AM

Those are great pics thanks for the link!!!
Travis

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.